Consuming the consumers

Needless to say, Apple is a powerhouse in the technology industry. Recently, one of the older models of their iPod seems to have disappeared without a trace. Speculation suggests that it’s due to its limited target market as Apple advances with newer model developments such as the touch-screen models. This article sparked many ideas and feelings of nostalgia as I thought back to the generations of used electronics in my junk drawer at home. It made me think of the hours spent listening to countless songs, organizing hours of music into “Jams” and “Workout” playlists and the feeling of pure fear as I dropped my device for the first time. Yet somehow, despite this sentimental attachment, I never hesitated to retire my companion for a shiny new toy. That lead me to wonder why we, as a population, feel the compulsion to constantly buy the latest and “greatest”. Technology companies such as Apple fabricate our mindsets by convincing us that the idea of wearing down our electronics is to be ridiculed and that the newest model is the only way to go.

In today’s world, the consumers have truly become the consumed.

screen-shot-2010-09-06-at-11-26-57-amImage source

Article: Proctor, Jason. “Apple kills iPod Classic: another one bites the dust – British Columbia – CBC News.” CBCnews. CBC/Radio Canada, 11 Sept. 2014. Web. 15 Sept. 2014. <http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/apple-kills-ipod-classic-another-one-bites-the-dust-1.2762299>.