Battle of the Ads.

Last year Samsung came out with an TV ad. attacking iPhone 5 around the time where the phone is about to be launched. I find this ad. quite interesting because it is not only promoting and telling viewers the value of the Samsung Galaxy S3, but also attacking the phone of its competitor (although not clearly stated, it is not hard for people to realize that Samsung is talking about Apple’s phones). I also find the part at 1min. 30sec. interesting because instead of comparing the specs of phones, it is saying the the iPhone is something that older people would want to buy. In marketing terms, Samsung is trying to make the iPhone appear as a phone for older generation, which would make them a dissociative reference group and that some younger customers might not choose the iPhone to avoid from being seen as part of the group.

This Samsung ad. also reminds me of the famous PC VS Mac ads. Although I personally find these kinds of ads enjoyable, I think they are a bit childish at the same time. These types of ads remind me of when two children gets into an argument and they start talking about how themselves are better and the other person sucks.