Assignment 1:3

Intersections

In my introduction assignment, I mentioned that my relationship of Canadian literature is heavily influenced by two books: Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson and  Ru  by Kim Thuy. One expanded my awareness of First Nations culture and one led me to question my understanding of what Asian-Canadian identity is. I received a really great question about what my thoughts are on the intersection between First Nations literature and Asian-Canadian literature, whether if they’re on opposite ends or share commonalities (paraphrased of course). I feel as though I immediately became wary on how I can navigate the question. I still hold some resemblance of what my initial reply (I’ll post my reply down below).

I would probably say that I hardly think of them in context to each other. I don’t think I’m necessarily right to do that but I think that I still need to know more about First Nations culture and history before I do that. I hope this class helps me garner a more definitive answer! Or even change my mind. I currently think of the two narratives as linear to one another within the topic of Canadian identity, but not correlated.

I don’t think I know enough about First Nations history or struggles to give an answer that I can definitively stand behind. I appreciate the metaphor of the intersection though. I had originally said that I thought those narratives are “linear” but I think it would’ve been more accurate if I repurposed my response into thinking about the intersections that it might possess. I feel as though I got caught up into treating the two narratives as separate instead of focusing on what similarities those narratives might share, which seems remissive to the point as it’s our similarities that brings us together. From this link https://torontosun.com/2017/08/19/bond-between-chinese-canadians-and-canadas-aboriginals/wcm/29d2d487-4de9-4404-8c65-22b170d9ed56 is an article by Gordon Chong (mixed background, part Chinese descent, Canadian) who has a theory about migration (which is very bold but is not evidence supported in this article). The takeaway that I got however is that both these narratives have been touched by displacement, which interferes with the preservation of culture.

Chamberlain seems to also take upon himself to mention that the “story of natives and newcomers” (229) both offer an insightful reading of Canada. The two narratives merges at an intersection in order to signify the importance that both narratives have to portray the story of Canada. Now my understanding of Chamberlain’s proposal is that he believes that changing the title will appease both sides. Chamberlain mentions that though there are social implications with changing such title that all in all the idea of the title is diminished to a “trick, a way of understanding something beyond everyday understanding” (229). Chamberlain seems to imply that a title is arbitrary, however that this change in title will lead to a conciliation between “fact and fiction” (230). Chamberlain summarizes this point in saying that, “like currency of ownership, or of the government – ultimately depends. Changing to the underlying aboriginal title would remind both sides of this” (230). It’s imperative to note that this changing of a title holds great social commentary as well, as it implies a strive for fairness. Fairness to settlers, which is also an argument that Chamberlain squashes as “nothing would if underlying title were aboriginal title. It would be fiction. The facts of life would remain the same” (231).

To touch upon Chamberlain’s mediation between a name to a “trick”, my understanding of the arbitrary nature of a “name” is encompassed here: https://www.cbc.ca/kidscbc2/the-feed/what-canada-was-almost-named  This list happens to demonstrate just how a name can play on the ideas of fact/fiction.

Chamberlin, Edward. “If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground.” AA. Knopf. Toronto. 2003.

Chong, Gordon. “Bond between Chinese Canadians and Canada’s Aboriginals”. Toronto Sun.  August 20, 2017. https://torontosun.com/2017/08/19/bond-between-chinese-canadians-and-canadas-aboriginals/wcm/29d2d487-4de9-4404-8c65-22b170d9ed56

“What Canada was ALMOST named”. CBC  https://www.cbc.ca/kidscbc2/the-feed/what-canada-was-almost-named

« »