Inclusive Books for Primary Classroom

After the class discussion it made me think about ways I incorporate inclusion into my primary classroom. It made me think of a  few LGBTQ books for elementary that I’ve used (the first 3) and the others were recommended to me that I want to check out. My grade 2’s really enjoyed the books and none of them questioned the make up of families represented such as mom & mom or dad & dad, etc. I really want to learn more ways and educate myself on how to incorporate LGBTQ content in the younger years. The discussion that occurred today was incredible hearing everyone’s views and I appreciate those who shared their personal narratives. It would be great to hear what discussions occur at the elementary level and maybe this is something I will ask my colleagues in various schools and district.

Books: Worm loves Worm by J.J. Austrian, The Family Book by Todd Parr, In Our Mothers’ House by Patricia Polacco, Wings by Christopher Myers, and The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams.

2 Responses to Inclusive Books for Primary Classroom

1. Tash McAdam says:

Good books!!!

Also ‘Red: A Crayon’s Story’ and ‘Piggy Bunny’ are great books to talk about diversity around with kindies/ grade ones 🙂

• Lauren Mah says:

Thanks for the suggestions! Feel free to send anymore my way that you can think of! Especially for grades 2-3 level.