LGBTQ2S+ Resources and Comments

Hi all, first off, thanks for an amazing discussion today, it’s so affirming to be in this space with you! I wanted to reiterate my offer to provide resources and support to you if I can as we embark on our journeys as educators. Below, please find a list of resources/ research that I mentioned in class today, but please do not hesitate to contact me in future if you think my expertise could be of use to you. As a Queer, Trans and 2Spirit Competency Trainer for QMUNITY, I have a lot of resources and contacts that I can connect you to.

email me on tash.mcadam@gmail.com or find me online everywhere under the same handle (@TashMcAdam)

On a personal note, one really awesome and fairly easy thing you can do is know what you’re teaching. Did you know Alexander the Great was a gay man? Did you know Shakespeare wrote love poems to men as well as women? Did you know people think Jane Austen was queer? Like ‘the Imitation Game’ straightwashing Alan Turing, by ignoring or denying parts of people’s identities the invisibility of queerness is perpetuated.

Some statistics related to things I mentioned

LGBTQ youth face approximately 14 times the risk of suicide and substance abuse compared to cisgender heterosexual peers – just ONE positive adult connection can save queer youth’s lives. You could be that adult!

64% of LGBTQ2s+ students feel unsafe in schools in Canada

Up to 40% of homeless youth identify as queer 

SOGI 123 has your backs on WHY you are including LGBTQ2s+ content!

Options for Sexual Health have the most amazing resources for inclusive sex ed

<3

About Tash McAdam

Comp Sci Major, ELL teacher, YA Author, trans {they/ their/ them pronouns please}
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.