We Really Do Need To Talk About Kevin

I would like to put forward my favourite novel of all time as a suggestion for teaching to grade 11/12 students.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is an epistolary novel written from the point of view of a mother to her estranged husband regarding the genesis of their son, and the school shooting he eventually commits. It is the fullest, most vibrant depiction of a relationship I’ve ever read, and the most engaging conversation about Nature vs Nurture I’ve ever encountered. The narrator, Eva, is so articulate and honest about her emotions towards her husband, her son and daughter, rich young people in New York, suburban life, travel, sex, maternal love, everything, you’ll have her voice in the back of your head for the rest of your life. There is also a movie based on the book starring Tilda Swinton, Ezra Miller, and John C Reilly, and it too is fabulous–a great way to cap off a unit, no doubt. Seriously give the book a read. I have never read a more honest depiction of the complexities of the emotions we feel for those closest to us. Nor have I encountered a better way to discuss violence in schools, the meaning of life, of love, and everything else that teenagers are interested in.

2 Responses to We Really Do Need To Talk About Kevin

1. Samantha Smirfitt says:

I’ve been meaning to read this for ages, yet every time I browse the library collections, I always forget it! Thanks for the reminder. After this post I will definitely be checking it out!

2. Jamie Hillman says:

Thanks for this suggestion! I think this is such an important topic to delve into, and could be connected to a social justice unit perhaps. I remember one of my favourite books I read in high school was 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It is also about a school shooting, told from various perspectives if I remember correctly. I would have to re-read it to determine whether or not it would be something worth teaching, or if it’s appropriate for high school, but I think this is a very relevant matter to discuss in the classroom.