Sketch Post + Importance to practice

I found this activity really fun because I think using different modes to teach my students to be really important. I find that students seem to invest themselves more into the material when I can present it in a way that is not straight lecture. I found videos to be a quick way to hook my students in, and references to video games or music would often help my students make connections to the material.

1 Response to Sketch Post + Importance to practice

1. jessica wallin says:

Thanks Peter!

I think this exercise would also be really useful for poetry as imagery is often a good access point for students who find the language or abstraction difficult. It could also be used as a notetaking strategy! What if we showed students how monks used to write (sometimes disturbing) doodles in the margins of very old texts and how they can offer us a critique and/or different perspective on the text? This could be a fun way of letting them write down both the notes and connect their thoughts about the material at the same time. Here’s an example of what I mean: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/medieval-marginalia-books-doodles