GRSJ 300 Culture Jam: Jammed Version of Ad

Explanation of my Jammed Piece:

The original ad tries to subliminally tell the consumer (men) that men who have money and power do what they want, and therefore, men who wish to do what they want should buy their suits. Unfortunately, the other hidden message is that if you want to be a man in power, you assault women. Moreover, the ad shows that if you have power it’s ok to assault women, or those with less power than you. My Culture jam piece brings those messages to the forefront, and challenges them. These subliminal messages cannot hide in an image that becomes part of our shared public culture, only to normalize violence against women.

Though the scene is dark and dreamy looking (as if to hypnotize the consumer), the text is bold, red and loud, almost like a record scratch. Causing the viewer to not be distracted by the pretty people, the fancy clothes, the sex, and the subliminal messages.

I chose to use the “Got Milk” slogan as inspiration. The text of my piece reads: “Got male privilege? Got $$? Got Power? Got sexual assault!” The reason for this is because milk is such a popular food/drink in North American society. Here, I am attempting to show that the assault on women, by men in power is as pervasive in our society as milk. Therefore, not only do we need to bring these instances into light, but also ads such as this one need to be called into question, and they need to be stopped.