Wake Up Call

Last week (June 7-12), I went to Orlando to visit my family and to enjoy the parks such as Disney World and Universal Studios. The overall trip was the most overwhelming. I woke up two nights with two different crimes: Christine Grimmer and Orlando Pulse Nightclub Shooting. I was in the same state where the worst mass shooting of the United States of America is.

According to CNN, United States of America is considered as home of third most mass shootings in the world. From 1966 to 2012, the number of cases is 90.

Not only mass shootings, there are several gun-related cases. I recall reading heartbreaking news from two big broadcasts (CNN and BBC), celebritiy or entertainment websites (Buzzfeed and PerezHilton) and several social medias (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram). For example, 6-year-old boy accidentally took a gun and shot his brother while playing “cops and robbers”.

It is understood that democracy provides freedom to all citizens in United States of America.

“The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun”

– Wayne Lapierre

However, it is not acceptable that mass shootings and any gun-related cases are mainstream. We have to realize that this is also scary if not taken with corresponding responsibility. One may have the privilege to own a gun but not everyone has the right state of mind and moral values to own a gun. There are some people who owns guns for protection. But there are other people who own guns for other reasons and motivations.

Gun ownership can define character such as “the true man who deserves everyone’s respect”. I chose this advertisement because it says “Consider your man card reissued”. It is simple but straightforward. It encourages people to own their gun and feel their power.

For Cultural Jam Assignment, my role for this project is to remind the important responsibilities of gun owner and bring awareness of safety.

Stay tuned!