The Crystal Dagger

Douglas Leung

CENS 201 003

24 November 2016

The Crystal Dagger

Long ago, in an enchanted forest, an ancient witch cursed a handsome prince to be trapped in a prison of sparkling crystal, cursed to slumber forever within. As the years passed, the tale of the handsome prince spread to the nearby kingdoms. Twice princesses had ventured through through the forest hoping to free the prince and wed him, for he had a sizeable kingdom to inherit. But when each princess finally found the prison, they were never able to wake the prince from his magical slumber, no matter how loudly they yelled.

There came a time when a princess from a very small kingdom was travelling through the forest when she stumbled upon the prince. When she came upon him, she screamed in fear. The prince immediately woke with a start, unable to ignore an innocent maiden’s cry of terror. The prince told the princess about the curse, and how the only thing that could shatter the crystal prison was a dagger made of the very same crystal.

“To obtain the dagger” he said, “you must first climb the mountain that passes the clouds, then cross the ocean that ends at the horizon, and finally pass the three eyed guardian of the end of the world.”

“How should I manage such fantastic tasks?” Said the princess, who had never been on such a quest before.

“Venture to the heart of this very forest, and you will find a magician loyal to my kingdom. Tell him of the situation and he will give you aid.”

Thus the princess ventured further into the forest, until she reached an odd cottage that seemed abandoned. However, when she looked closer she saw light coming from the windows.

When the princess knocked upon the old oak door, a voice came from within:

“Who art thou who knocks?

For I’ve had no visitors

For many a year”

Then the door slowly opened to reveal an venerable old  man, hunched over himself on a worn staff of pine. The princess told the magician her story, how her cry of distress woke the prince from his slumber, and her quest to find the crystal knife. She told him of the mountain that passes the clouds, and the ocean that ends at the horizon, and lastly of the three eyed guardian of the end of the world. After much consideration, the magician spoke:

“I shall help you thus

By granting you these three gifts

I wish you good luck”

With that, he raised his staff and pounded the ground three times. A flash followed each strike, and after each flash an item was bequeathed unto the princess. First, a flute of spruce, next a magical seed, and lastly a pouch of spice.

After receiving these gifts and thanking the magician the princess set off. She travelled to the very edge of the enchanted forest, where she found the mountain that passes the clouds. She could not climb the mountain, for it was far too steep, so she blew a song on the flute hoping for aid. After playing but three notes, the clouds above descended and lifted the princess high above, until she had safely risen over the mountain. After thanking the clouds and safely stowing the flute, she continued until she came upon the ocean that ends at the horizon. Here she planted the magical seed, where it instantly grew into a fantastical three masted barque. She sailed on the ship until at last she came upon the horizon itself. When she stepped upon the shimmering surface of the horizon, she saw the three eyed guardian of the end of the world; and beyond his massive form the resting place of the crystal dagger.

“Beware who goes there, I am the guardian of the end of the world. I have three eyes, and thus always have one open; no one can pass me!” his booming voice echoed.

Without making a sound, the princess reached into the pouch of spice and scattered it in the air above her. When the colossal guardian could not see through the thick cloud of spice, he lowered his great head for a closer look, whereupon the spice floated into his eyes and blinded him. Over his screams the princess quickly ran to the dagger and stowed its reflective form in the spice pouch, to make its presence unknown.

As the princess ran back to her ship, the blinded guardian pleaded, “Please return the crystal dagger, and if you do you will be given domain over the horizon forever.”

After safely passing the three eyed guardian of the end of the world, the Princess again crossed the ocean that ends at the horizon, and then again blew a song on the flute to carry her over the mountain that passes the clouds. She travelled back through the enchanted forest until she again found the prince. Then, retrieving the dagger, she shattered the crystal prison in one swift strike.

“At last I have been freed!” The prince exclaimed. “In exchange, we shall marry and you shall have all my vast kingdom has to offer.”

But in the prince’s absence, his father had abdicated the throne in grief, and his brother had taken over, and the prince returned to his kingdom with nothing to inherit. Seeing the prince’s despair, the princess gathered her magic items and took the prince back into the magical forest. She lead him to the mountain that passes the clouds, and blew a song on the flute, and for a third time the clouds descended, this time carrying them both over the mountain. Then for a third time the princess crossed the ocean that ends at the horizon. When they came upon the three eyed guardian of the end of the world, the princess spoke.

“I am sorry to have stolen the crystal dagger. Now that I am finished with it, I shall return it to you.”

The giant guardian bent down and looked at the princess, accepting the dagger with a hand. “Your motives were pure, and your restitution accepted. Since you have returned the dagger, you shall receive domain over the horizon as promised.”

And with a great clap of his hands, the princess and prince became king and queen of the horizon, where they ruled blissfully the rest of their lives.

1055 words