Original Advertisement

https://proteinworld.com

For my culture jam assignment, I will be analyzing a protein powder advertisement from Protein World. Protein World is famous for their protein powder, hunger suppression pills, and objectification of women. Despite public backlash, Protein World continues to use female models as props to sell their products, often using females as attention grabbers or background models surrounding a dominant looking male. The advertisement I am analyzing features a young, slender, white female dressed in a bikini, her posture accentuates her chest, abs, and thighs. The advertisement prompts the viewers by asking if they are “beach body ready.” This line of questioning asserts the presumption that there is an ideal beach body which is that of the model featured in the advertisement. This suggests that those who do not fit the criteria should refrain from beach-related activities, at least until they have achieved the unattainable body standard illustrated by Protein World. The advertisement is not portraying a universal body standard for everyone, it is speaking directly to the female population. By featuring an attractive young model Protein World is trying to speak directly to female consumers, saying that through the use of their products they too can achieve the “ideal body.” This, however, is entirely inaccurate, consuming protein powder or supplements cannot change your body type, as we know your body shape is determined and affected by a range of biological and social characteristics. The issue I am addressing in Protein World’s advertisement is the objectification and sexualization of women, specifically through Protein World’s use of gender, race, age, and body stereotypes.

Jammed Advertisement

Through my jamming, I am trying to highlight the not so subtle subliminal message Protein World is trying to put forth. The fact that the ‘ideal’ body illustrated is that of a young, able-bodied, white female is enforcing a ridiculous beauty standard, one that causes great harm, physically, emotionally, and mentally, to millions of females. I want my jammed illustration to demonstrate that despite the wide range of characteristics humans have we can quickly be cast aside if we do not meet a set of small discriminatory criteria that is created by the patriarchy who benefits and capitalizes off of us and our feelings of self-worth. Through my jammed photo, I want to showcase that the original advertisement was created to sell a product but the main visual aid was not the protein powder or the supplements rather it was the model. I have done this by resizing the already small photo of the protein powder and supplements into a smaller photo. Protein World is not trying to just sell a product they are trying to sell a lifestyle, one that is entrenched in privilege and resources. There are hundreds of more effective ways to sell protein powder but this advertisement was trying to sell the idea that a perfect body exists and that if we do not have it we can ‘fix’ ourselves to fit into that mould. I debated whether or not I should edit the model but I felt that the purpose of the model in the original advertisement was to show women what they should look like, because of this I wanted my version to show women that this model was being used as an object in an attempt to sell weight loss foods. That because the model fit the criteria of a false beauty standard she was showcased by Protein World to benefit their company. We need to dissect these types of advertisement and see them for what they are: oppression and discrimination for corporate gain, especially at the expense of racial, ethnic, and disabled groups.