Truth is, I don’t want to save the world anymore

Listening to entrepreneur and Sauder graduate, Tom Dobrzanski, talk about how the music industry, gave me shivers all through my body. As soon as I got home I listened to all of his band’s (The Zolas) music, and I fell instantly in love with indie rock. Well, at least this one.

A couple of years back, I was very, very socially driven. Now, I’m more of a– pessimistic. I will leave all the world-saving to my fellow classmates who seem to be very enthusiastic about social entrepreneurship. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I don’t care about poverty and hunger. I’m from Costa Rica. I know what poverty looks like. And I care. I just don’t think I can solve it. After working in the Legislative Assembly of my country, I lost all hope whatsoever. Nevertheless, I truly wish the best for those who try.

Now. Music. I love music. Although I play very little piano, music has an unparalleled power over me. And I would love to work in the music industry. However, I have always felt a little guilty about music: as if I ended up working for a big label, I would just become a commercial puppet and not do any good in the world. Is it just that my generation is obsessed with fixing the world, and we all desperately want jobs that “make the world a better place” blah blah..?

1 thought on “Truth is, I don’t want to save the world anymore

1. Very relatable. I feel the same way about using my training as an anthropologist for ‘global development’ and nonprofit work vs. applying it towards what I’m actually better at (journalism/visual media). Thanks for putting this out there.