“Homeplus” Korea brings new meaning to express grocery shopping

Tesco’s newly rebranded grocery franchise , “Homeplus,” had only one objective in mind, increasing market share–without increasing number of retail locations throughout Korea. Homeplus thought of a clever marketing strategy in bringing their retail store into the busy consumer’s life. They placed electronic grocery aisles throughout all the subway platforms in the waiting area for consumers. These electronic aisles aren’t regular grocery store asiles, they use the increasingly popular QR code technology to scan and purchase everyday grocery items, and have them delivered to the consumer’s front door, by the time they arrive home from their commute. This brilliant marketing tactic deployed by Homeplus has increased their online sales by 130% between Nov 2010-Jan 2011. Homeplus  recognized the void in what consumer’s lifestyles–time, and they have successfully implemented a solution to grocery shop without  interfering with consumer’s busy schedules.

AXE “Cleans all types of Balls”

On Tuesday September 19,  I  got assigned a team in my Marketing class to analyze a company, both Micro and Macro environments and come up with a new marketing strategy for the company. Our team chose to pursue research in AXE, since they are a well known company who specializes in grooming products, mainly Deodorant spray and body wash. When I was researching the trend of advertisements that AXE uses I realized that almost every single Axe ad contained sexuality/seduction and comedy as their main themes. This makes perfect sense considering their target market is males from ages 14-25, and what better way to attract a males attention by sex or comedy. One commercial that especially caught my eye was the Axe Detailer “can clean your balls ,” campaign. This commercial was banned from Television due to its  content shortly after being aired.The commercial is more humor based, and uses a simile for man parts with all types of “Balls,” because we know all men come in different shapes and sizes. Despite the Axe Detailer “Clean your balls,” campaign, the video still went viral online, and has been watched by millions. It is interesting to find that even though it got banned, consumers are still watching the video for self amusement, an EXCELLENT marketing strategy in my opinion. I think that even if advertisements are riskee and are banned, the company can still promote it’s product through consumer’s word of mouth, especially with such a genius ad. I am a prime example of the benefits Axe is getting from the video going viral. After making me crack up while watching it, I just HAD to post it on my Facebook to share with friends.

See video below how Axe Detailed, can “Clean your balls.”

Clean your balls