Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Reflections on Online Learning vs. Classroom Learning

This is the final blog post for LIBR559m so I thought I would use the opportunity to post some thoughts about online courses vs. courses based in the classroom. This can be considered feedback for @giustini but, the thoughts are really just reflective of my own experience.

Overall I thought the pedagogical concept behind the structure of the course was a good one, but completing it over a 6 week summer term instead of the usual 12 weeks was much more difficult that I anticipated. The amount of work prescribed was probably just about right for a Masters level course, but I felt to that I needed to completely immerse myself in this course to really appreciate all it had to offer. This was impossible for me as I had another demanding online course and two part-time jobs that also took up chunks of my time. So I feel as if I’ve limped along, barely getting by and barely scratching the surface in terms of the course content. Let me emphasize that this is a feeling and, as such, may not reflect the reality, or how others have perceived my work. I have felt the same, in varying degrees, about other online courses I have taken. So why do I feel this way in the online learning environment? I think it is the lack of face to face interaction with the instructor and fellow students that is at the root of the problem.

In a report prepared for the U.S. Department of Education it was found that research into online learning from 1996 to 2009 shows that “Students that took all or part of their class online performed better, on average, that those… that those through traditional face to face instruction.” So clearly there is a good case to be made for online courses being superior to those taught in a classroom. A wiki from the University of Calgary lists four main advantages to online instruction over the face to face classroom experience: The sharing of ideas; Instructor accessibility; A student centred teaching approach; and 24/7 access to course materials. I believe all four of these positive elements were definitely present in our LIBR559m course and other online courses I’ve taken at UBC.

The Sharing of Ideas. I completely agree on this point. I have found that I absorb much more from reading my classmates posts in the discussion about the required readings than from the readings themselves. You don’t really get much of this in a classroom setting. People are more reluctant to speak their minds about a topic when physically among their peers, but mostly it’s because many students do not do the readings in time to discuss them at the specific moment that is required of them. Online courses allow much more leeway for students to get their readings done on their own schedule and then still contribute to discussions even when others have moved to a different topic.

Instructor Accessibility: Truly, I have more correspondence with my instructors from my online courses than from courses that that are classroom based. This is mostly through email, but also from general messages and feedback in the discussion posts. However, meeting an instructor and speaking with that person face to face, even once, can set the tone for online communications. It is so much easier for me to relate to the course as a whole with at least a little knowledge of an instructor’s personality through their facial expressions, tone of voice, even the way they dress. Now that I know this is important for me I will definitely make sure to take the time to meet my instructor’s in person early on in an online course.

A Student Centred Teaching Approach: Again, I think this is spot on… to a point. Online courses allow for teachers to indulge the preferred learning styles of different students, but there are still restrictions for certain students when a course that would normally be offered over twelve weeks is condensed into a six week program as I believe that you cannot replace that lost six weeks of time for your subconscious to reflect on course material. However, a traditional classroom based program is still much more restrictive in terms of how students are able to demonstrate their learning.

24/7 Access to Learning Materials: This one is like a double edged sword. Yes, having these materials available at all times day or night frees you to work when your brain is at it’s most engaged, whether that is at 2pm or 2am. However, for some people, this kind of access has the potential to consume them 24/7. I personally feel haunted by guilt every time I’m on my computer, knowing I could be working on something from school. It is a very different situation when you have to schedule your own learning times and therefore your own break times. If you haven’t developed experience, or had a proper induction, into time management in an online environment, having these materials available 24/7 can potentially lead to some people burning out on the material after a couple of weeks.

One of the disadvantages about online learning listed on the U. Calgary wiki was also very interesting – Minimal Social Interaction. I had to think about this one but I think this is mostly right. I realize the irony of saying a course like LIBR559m: Social Media for Information Professionals actually suffered from “Minimal Social Interaction” but it is undoubtedly true. Reading blogs, tweets and emails from classmates just doesn’t compare to actually meeting them face to face. There was no real opportunity to meet with fellow students over coffee before or after class, as is usually the case. I find this kind of discussion to be invaluable as it makes you realize that you are not alone in whatever apprehensions you have as a student at this level. I realize that @giustini specifically assigned everyone a “Study Buddy” as a way to counteract this, but it is very difficult to replicate the spontaneous connections you make with fellow students face to face. This was confirmed for me when the only time I felt I was truly engaged in the course was while working on our group project for LIBR559M and being able to work face to face with my (excellent) fellow students.

Perhaps my thoughts here are merely a reflection of my age and the fact that I earned my undergrad in a purely classroom setting. It may be much different for kids entering university having experienced being online as a normal part of their learning environment. However, having made these reflections I believe that a “blended learning” environment is probably the best approach for most courses. This puts people in a classroom, usually in front of a computer, with the instructor there interacting with students in person. While the virtual learning environment is still there to do work, there is a specific moment at least once a week when everyone in the class will be on the same page and able to relate to each other accordingly. I think this would also enhance the online discussions and communications with the instructor and students alike.