3.5 – Getting the Story Right

Prompt 2 – Coyote Pedagogy is a term sometimes used to describe King’s writing strategies (Margery Fee and Jane Flick). Discuss your understanding of the role of Coyote in the novel.

Before jumping right into my views about Coyote’s role in Green Grass, Running Water, I think it is important to write about other elements of the story – the medicine wheel, and the storytelling process. These elements are all connected, so I hope you’ll bear with me and I promise we will get to Coyote eventually.

Let’s start with the Medicine Wheel, as described in our class notes for this lesson:

“The Medicine Wheel is a tool for healing both individual and community problems – but it is also a tool for teaching, which is really the same thing… As the Wheel turns, it is also returning, and in this way all of these elements are continually connecting and reconnecting; the past meets the present and things begin again.”

The turning of the Wheel brings rejuvenation, allowing the seasons and the elements and seasons to continue their cycle. If the wheel stopped, then, the rejuvenation would not happen, and the world would become static and fetid. What could stop the turning of the wheel? The answer, I think, comes from telling stories.

There are a number of characters in Green Grass who express a desire to “get the story right.”  Ishmael tells Crusoe it’s “best not to make [mistakes] with stories,” (King, 14) and a frustrated Babo says “That’s not right either. I keep getting it wrong. I better start at the beginning again.” (King, 93) Most crucially, the unnamed narrator of the story is set on telling the story of the water right, instructing Coyote to “Listen up… I only want to do this once.” (King, 38) He ends up telling his story four times over the course of the novel, which ends with him preparing to tell it yet again.

None of these characters ever do seem to tell their story right, but what would happen if they did? I think part of the explanation is found in Blanca Chester’s article, describing the novel’s relationship between stories and reality:

“The stories themselves are re-created and they simultaneously re-create the world – again and again. The stories continue to theorize, and thus to create, Native reality.” (Chester, 59)

Storytelling is cyclical, and each story told gives birth to a new world, or breathes life into the old one. Like the turning of the medicine wheel, storytelling is a process of rejuvenation. I do not think this is a coincidence, rather that the two are closely linked; the telling of stories is the process by which the wheel turns. I feel like this is well-supported by the novel’s structure, which associates each of its four acts with one of the quadrants of the medicine wheel, and uses each section of the novel to tell a new version of the narrator’s creation story. At the end of the novel, the rejuvenation process is complete (“‘Look at that, Mary. It’s spring again. Everything’s green. Everything’s alive.’” [King, 425]). But it is not over – a new cycle is beginning, as the narrator starts telling Coyote a new story of the water. (King, 431)

Medicine Wheel

A ceremonial drum inscribed with a Medicine Wheel design. Is that the Lone Ranger’s mask in the top-right corner?

If storytelling is what keeps the wheel turning, rejuvenating the world, it follows that an end to storytelling would stop the wheel, throwing the world into decay. The idea of “getting the story right” actually seems like a dangerous one, in that light – if the narrator got the story right, he wouldn’t have to keep beginning again, and would stop telling it. Now that we have taken this appropriately cyclical route of explanation, I think I am ready to theorize Coyote’s role in the novel: Coyote, using his trickster/transformer abilities to alter or disrupt the narrator’s story, ensures the story is never “right” so the wheel can keep spinning.

Coyote has two main tactics for keeping the stories coming. One tactic is disruption: he inserts events, such as the arrival of Moby-Jane (King, 197), and the things he say become dialogue in the story, such as in the exchange between A.A. Gabriel and Thought Woman (King, 271). Secondly, when the story ends, he asks questions and claims not to understand the story, forcing the narrator to start again:

“But what happens to First Woman?”
“Oh, boy,” I says. “You must have been sitting on those ears. No wonder this world has problems.”
“Is this a puzzle?” says Coyote. “Are there any clues?”
“We are going to have to do this again. We are going to have to get it right.”
“Okay,” says Coyote, “I can do that.” (King, 100)

While the narrator wants to finish their story and be done with it, Coyote blocks this effort and makes the story begin again. The narrator seems to think Coyote’s inattentiveness is a bad thing, citing it as the reason the world “has problems” and “is a mess.” But the pattern of their back-and-forth is anything but chaotic; it is predictable and cyclical. Their exchanges ensure the Wheel keeps turning.

I like this explanation, although it leaves a number of questions unanswered. For starters, what are Coyote’s intentions? Does he know the importance of his role, or does he just enjoy a good story? Is he as silly as he appears, or does he just act that way in order to keep the narrator talking? Flick’s description of Coyotes doesn’t provide much in the way of hints, as she notes they are “capable of being brave or cowardly, conservative or innovative, wise or stupid.” (Flick, 143) I am also still lost about the identity of the narrator, and why it is important that they keep telling the story, instead of passing it onto Coyote, as was their intention. I would love to hear thoughts on any of this!

Works Cited:

Chester, Blanca. “Green Grass Running Water: Theorizing the World of the Novel.” Canadian Literature 161-162. (1999). Web. July 1, 2015.

Flick, Jane. “Reading Notes for Thomas King’s Green Grass Running Water.” Canadian Literature 161-162. (1999). Web. July 1, 2015.

King, Thomas. Green Grass, Running Water. Toronto: HarperCollins, 1993. Print.

9 thoughts on “3.5 – Getting the Story Right

1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I am especially interested in your description of Coyote and your questions regarding his nature–which is obviously anything but black and white. I feel like the chaotic, mysterious, shifting, and uncertain nature of Coyote is actually perfect for his role in ensuring that stories are told, that the wheel turns, and essentially that life continues. As human beings the universe and its workings often do seem unknowable, chaotic, and strange-especially in the past few hundred years as god and his deathgrip on thought/culture/society have slowly died. We aren’t supposed to know about Coyote’s motives, his thoughts, or the workings of his psyche because we really don’t know much about the chaotic ticking of the cosmos. I’m interested to hear about what your thoughts might be on this.
    Thanks,
    Gretta

• Hi Gretta, that’s an interesting analysis, because when I think of the representations of a random or chaotic god/cosmos it is usually associated with a sense of dread. If Coyote is meant to represent that as well, his silliness seems to make that uncertainty less ominous and more comforting.

2. Hi Max!

I would like to throw in my 2 cents about the possibilities of the role of the narrator. I agree with you that at first, there seems like theres a redundancy in their presence, why they keep insisting to tell the story if Coyote continues to interrupt and it seems to be causing more chaos than fluidity in the grand scheme of things. I would argue that by having this narrator who is always trying to stay on course and do things “the right way” or in the supposed “order”, it gives Coyote as a character, the opportunity to create mischief and chaos and to constantly force the interruptions and retelling of the story over and over again. It is only through his actions of doing this that he is able to insinuate comments about the permanence or “truth” of creation stories, to force the audience to realize there is no “one true story” and that the experience is much more malleable than we like to assume.

• Hi Freda,

I like your analysis, and your description of the narrator as a foil or an enacting agent for Coyote, but his role in the story still seems uncertain. Do you think he is aware of the role he plays, or does Coyote have him under their paw?

• Hi Cecily, I think you are right that there isn’t one “right” way to interpret Coyote. Much like with the creation stories, it seems important that King continues to question our assumptions and prevent us from landing on one “correct” answer. The idea that his insertion is meant to shake up Western literary conventions, in the same way he does for religion, is great – thank you!

3. Hi Max,

You give a lovely description of the powers of the medicine wheel. And, frame the connection between the medicine wheel and stories so nicely: “the telling of stories is the process by which the wheel turns.” Your idea that getting the story right would mean the end of the world reminds me of Chamberlin’s thoughts on the importance of both believing a story and not believing it. If we think that we got the story right, and that it’s the only right story, very bad things happen (34). Thank you for these insights – good circles for the brain to go in!

Kaitie

Chamberlin, Edward. “If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground”. Mississauga, Ontario: Random House of Canada, 2004. Print.

• Hi Kaitie, Chamberlin’s thoughts on believing/not believing and King’s thoughts on the danger of believing one story were both on my mind while writing this. Thank you for your kind words!

4. I enjoyed reading your take on Coyote – I think you’re right that it’s a really intriguing character. It hadn’t occurred to me that Coyote could be a way of making sure that the stories don’t come to an end, but I think the character definitely serves that purpose.

Coyote seems like a changing and contradictory character, so regarding your questions about Coyote’s intentions or his knowledge of the importance of his role, I think there probably isn’t a single correct answer.

I think one main purpose of Coyote is to shake up the format of the novel that we’re all used to reading and create something that’s more in line with Indigenous culture – I suppose it would have a similar effect to including creation stories, which I wrote about this week. Whether he inserts chaos or a orderly cyclical format, he certainly has a big impact on the structure.

(Erika – sorry, I accidentally posted this in response to Freda’s comment first!)