Welcome

Welcome to my E-Portfolio!

graduating photo

I currently teach grade 2 at Stratford Hall, an International Baccalaureate World School in Vancouver, BC.  This E-Portfolio documents my experience teaching kindergarten at Elsie Roy Elementary School.  As you explore my portfolio you will notice references to the Reggio Emilia approach to teaching.  This is a style of teaching that I was exposed to during my practicum placement in a kindergarten class in Vancouver, BC and an approach that I will continue to explore as I develop my personal teaching style.  I have personally witnessed great success with it’s use in the classroom and strive to incorporate its principals into my future teaching opportunities!

Reggio Emilia Approach

Before you enter my portfolio I would like to provide a brief description of what the Reggio Approach is about to allow for a deeper understanding of who I am and who I want to become as an educator.  Reggio Emilia is an approach to teaching that emphasizes social emotional learning and project-based learning, founded by Loris Malliguzi in Italy.  This approach embraces the arts, personal expression and acknowledges diversity in learning.  Most importantly, it sees the child as a powerful and strong individual capable of achieving great success through a variety of capabilities known as the One Hundred Languages of children.

A Desire to Inspire

I firmly believe that the key to a child’s success in school is an inspiring teacher that can develop strong, trusting relationships, and who facilitates a learning environment that promotes creativity, inquiry and diversity.  My hopes are that through this E-portfolio you are able to gain a glimpse into my goals, values and mission as an educator and continual life-long learner.

Enjoy!

100 languages word doc.

No Way. The Hundred is there. The Child Is made of one hundred. The child has a hundred languages, a hundred hands, a hundred thoughts, a hundred ways of thinking, of playing, of speaking. A hundred always a hundred ways of listening of marveling, of loving, a hundred joys for singing and understanding, a hundred worlds to discover, a hundred worlds to invent, a hundred worlds to dream. The child has a hundred languages, but they steal ninety-nine. The school and the culture separate the head from the body. They tell the child: To think without hands, to do without head, to listen and not to speak, to understand without joy, to love and to marvel. They tell the child: To discover the world already there, and of the hundred they steal ninety-nine. They tell the child: That work and play, reality and fantasy, science and imagination, sky and earth, reason and dream are things that do not belong together. And thus they tell the child that the hundred is not there. The child says: No way. The hundred is there”

– Loris Mallaguzi

2 Responses to Welcome

1. Pizza Gourmet e Tradizione si fondono per deliziare il palato

2. Stuart Eeles says:

Hi there,
    I am an assistant principal in New Zealand and I work in a special needs school. We are a Reggio-inspired school and I am putting together some ‘key principles’ for our teachers. I was wondering if I could reference your blog and some of your examples? I will ensure confidentiality and will acknowledge your work. Please let mew know if this is OK