Text Technologies: The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Task 6: An Emoji Story

Did you rely more on syllables, words, ideas or a combination of all of them?

I relied on words and ideas. It was so hard not to type out the plot first on my computer, getting it down to a couple of sentences, and then pick the emojis. Bolter (2001) states that, “print today is continuing to remake itself in order to maintain its claim to represent reality as effectively as digital and other visual technologies.” Although I agree I did find myself wanting to write out my sentences first before adding the emojis, like I needed that security of seeing my thoughts in words before I added the pictures. I needed to see it in print, hypertext before creating hypermedia. I needed the ability to read and write before I was able to use the emojis. I use emojis everyday during conversations on the phone with family and friends. This assignment had a different context, and had me asking, are the readers going to understand the emojis like I do, is there a universal understanding of what each emoji is for? Each emoji I used has meanings which I understand to best describe and interpret the plot, would my colleagues or will I unintentionally culturally offend someone?  Then I stopped and realized I was over thinking and to just get my emoji on as the use of images for cultural communication is nothing new, Bolter (2001). And if I have offended you, please realize that is not my intent, and please leave a comment on which emoji is culturally inappropriate and why, the best apology I can give is to learn from my mistake.

Did you start with the title? Why? Why not?

I did start with the title as it came easily for me to create, which then gave me the confidence to continue with the plot. I am confident using the emojis I did readers would easily know my TV show. Bolter (2001) talks about ekphrasis, an old but powerful term as the goal of this literary form is to make the reader envision the thing described as if it were physically present. Which is why I went with the title first, the reader can instantly visualize what show I am talking about.

Did you choose the work based on how easy would it be to visualize?

Yes and no. We were asked to use emojis to describe the plot of a recent show or movie we have seen. The last show I watched during my holiday break has been talked about all over social media so the one emoji visual should give it away. The show itself is so visual that despite its extremely dark subject matter, it’s shot in a very vibrant, colourful setting. Just like the emojis I choose the innocent children’s emoji with the darker skull and gun. It was an easy show to visualize as it left such a mark on me after watching that I found I was adding too many details with my emojis and had to re due some of it.  I am interested to see if any other colleagues chose this show and how they used the emojis to represent it.

Reference:

Bolter, J. D. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed.). Mahwah, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. doi:10.4324/9781410600110

« »