The Colonial Experience- week 3

Castas Paintings, bring us to the unending question of what is latin America, and if there is any definition of it whatsoever. The paintings try to include all the mixture of races that took place in he territories during the colonial period, at the same time using the new terns to define these races. The differences where marked not only by skin colors but for power in society as well. Each of the paintings generally represented the hierarchy through a family. Till today is is not very clear how this painting were bought or distributed. However it is interesting to know they were given as a gift for services in the Americas.

I did know about these different races that came to be during the colonial period and their different social powers they had according to the origin of their mixture. However I think it was shocking for me to see the painting and recognize that evidence and the way in which each of the groups is portrait most of the time by their role in society. I believe this was done somehow to remark those differences and specially the limits each of the races had in relation to rights in society.

On the other hand , the courage shown by Catalina de Erauso in those stories inspired me as woman, because in those days woman had the right for almost nothing and were set on their specific roles. It is incredible to know all she did for loyalty to Spain as well.

1 thought on “The Colonial Experience- week 3

1. Taby

Hi!
    I found your post about the Casta Paintings quite interesting especially when you mentioned the the role of society and how it plays a part in how the general public views a specific racial group. I’d be interested to know more about why you believe the paintings were given to the Americans as gifts? Perhaps for peace or further acceptance?