ENGL 301 99A Writing Team Invitation Emails

Dear Amina,

I have reviewed your technical writing skills, experiences and learning philosophy as evidenced by your blog and would like to extend an invitation to collaborate as fellow members of an ENGL 301 Professional Writing Team.

I am extremely impressed by your previous work experience, and your drive to improve your professional writing skills for your work.  With your applied experience of writing in the BCCDC, I believe we will cooperate effectively, as I am also passionate about health sciences.  Your qualifications and concise, flowing writing, make you a terrific asset for the team.  I am interested to see how you translate difficult technical writing into text intended for a general audience.  I respect your philosophy regarding learning, as it is important to adapt quickly to the ever-changing professional conditions.  Your learning philosophy is similar to mine, as in order to accept and improve on input, one must be willing to adapt.  I hope that through your openness to new ideas we can improve together.

Please consider my invitation with care.  I have attached my Letter of Application for your review.  Feel free to reply with your decision; I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Quentin Michalchuk

Engl 301 Quentin Michalchuk Application Letter

Dear Eugenia,

I am confident that our vastly differing career paths will ensure diverse thinking and perspectives in the peer-review process.  This will not only provide effective feedback, but also broaden our horizons of what technical writing is.   Your background as a Communications Assistant informs me that you not only have writing skills, but also are able to work efficiently and cooperatively within a group setting.  With your organized, detail-oriented approach, I believe you would be a terrific asset to the team.  I am intrigued by your strength-highlighting approach to learning, as I think it demonstrates insight into the psychology behind motivation and willingness to learn.  This will in turn lead to a driven writing group and little to no resentment among group members.  I hope that through your unique thinking process as a political science major we can improve together.

Sincerely,

Quentin Michalchuk

Dear Erin,

I am most impressed by your professional skills in advertisement.  A critical part of all writing, visual appeal, is something that can be difficult for many.  Your skills in this area set you apart from all other applicants and would be crucial in a group environment.  Your background as a dental hygienist and pre-health science certificate is unique, yet I have also worked in infection prevention and control at the BCCH (BC Children’s Hospital). Thus, I believe you will bring a unique perspective while also being able to connect interpersonally.  With your dedication and focus, I believe you would be a terrific asset to the team.  Your learning philosophy fosters curiosity, an important element of learning willingness.  I believe that my philosophy regarding hands-on learning and feedback needs curiosity to function.  Combining the two philosophies will lay strong groundwork for a motivated learning environment.  I hope that through your professionalism and respect, the best writing team will be created.

Sincerely,

Quentin Michalchuk

Memorandum

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, ENGL 301 Professor
From: Quentin Michalchuk, ENGL 301 Student
Date: September 18th, 2020
Subject: ENGL 301 Application Letter Submitted

As per this week’s instructions, I am emailing you to confirm my submission of the ENGL 301 letter of application to a writing team as evidenced by my blog, found here.  Attached at the bottom is the Microsoft Word format of the application.

The contents of this letter of application include:

• My professional interests and background
  • My academic achievements
  • My previous experience in my academic field, detailing strengths and weaknesses in writing ability
  • My learning philosophy

If you require additional information, please let me know, so I may improve.  I look forward to hearing from you and your feedback.

Enclosure: Engl 301 Quentin Michalchuk Application Letter

ENGL 301 Professional Writing Team Member Application Letter

3072 Signal Hill Dr SW
Calgary, AB T3H 3K9

September 18th, 2020

ENGL 301 Students
University of British Columbia
TEF III Building
600-6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3

Dear Students of the English 301 Course,

I graciously accept your offer of application for the professional writing position in this technical writing class and ask that you consider this letter carefully.  I am a third-year pharmacology student at the University of British Columbia and am interested in both clinical and laboratory-based medicine.  I am additionally fascinated by pharma, biotechnology, and atmospheric science, the latter of which I look forward to proposing as a minor.  As writing is prevalent in all aspects of my life, I am eagerly anticipating working closely with motivated peers to exercise and develop my writing portfolio.

I have always been a strong technical and creative writer as evidenced by my attainment of top marks in ENGL 112, a course in scientific writing and ENGL 321, an English grammar and usage course.  Despite my already strong writing abilities, I am continuously seeking improvement, as demonstrated by my enrolment in this course.

For the past two years, I have been involved in academic research in Geriatrics, concurrently working on two literature reviews.  Through this research, I have learned to comprehend a high volume of advanced texts and generate summarized, organized writing for a general audience. The process took place almost exclusively through online communication and work, which speaks volumes about my self-motivation and timely work ethic.  However, I relied quite heavily on guidance from my Principal Investigators.  I hope to improve this weakness by taking more initiative throughout this course.  With this experience, I believe I can not only produce high quality writing that ensures audience understanding, but that I can also be a reliable peer who can provide valuable written feedback.

I believe we learn most effectively through practice where we apply previously gathered knowledge instead of resorting to hypotheticals.  This work is then evaluated by the best in the field, with audience input. In this course, we have the opportunity to practice our writing skills through published online work, with our instructor taking the role of the master, and the peers being the audience members, quite conducive to learning. I believe my involvement in this writing group will be extremely productive and my passion for this learning methodology will display itself through my written work.

If my skills suit your needs, please reach out to me at michalchukq@alumni.ubc.ca for further correspondence.

Sincerely,

Quentin Michalchuk