About Me

Welcome! You may be asking yourself, who the heck is this Mike-guy? Well, let me fill you in:

Present

I am a current MSc. candidate with the University of British Columbia (UBC) Okanagan’s Department of Earth, Environmental, and Geographic Sciences, under the supervision of Dr. Mathieu Bourbonnais. For my thesis project, I am studying the use of remote sensing applications to assess riparian vegetation and its influence of stream thermal dynamics within the Okanagan Basin. I am very excited to have the opportunity not only to further my understanding of how to use the coding-language R as a GIS, but also to gain further experience in processing and analyzing LiDAR, spectral, and thermal data.

Past

In the spring of 2020, amid some unsettling times during the onset of COVID-19, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Victoria’s (UVic) Department of Geography, where I focused in studies relating to Geomatics (GIS and remote sensing) and Physical Geography. I was drawn to this field not only because of my childhood-inspired love of maps, but also because of my interest in explaining geomorphologcal features while hiking throughout British Columbia’s alpine environments! One of the highlights of my undergraduate experience at UVic was having the opportunity to work with (and eventually volunteer with) the Enguserosambu Forest Trust’s Loita-Maasai Mapping project. Through my work with this project, I was responsible for digitizing hand-recorded maps and attribute tables produced about, by, and for the Loita-Maasai peoples of northern Tanzania.

I wasn’t always aware that this was going to be my path in life though, as it took me a long time to discover my love for spatial and environmental sciences. I have travelled quite a winding road to get to this point in my life, where I feel fortunate to have had so many experiences in fields outside of the sciences that I now love! Not only do I also have an Associate of Arts degree in Criminal Justice, but I have held many different work-related positions as well. In the past, I have been a projectionist, sales associate, rental car runner, barista, hockey department manager, apprentice plumber, and most enjoyably a volunteer hockey coach for the Victoria Minor Hockey Association. All of these experiences, and many others, have been integral towards giving me the confidence to pursue more imposing aspirations, such as my current thesis project through UBC-Okanagan.

In my spare time, I enjoy playing hockey, playing music, going hiking, and finding ways to connect with the community! I love connecting with new people, so please shoot me an email if you have any questions!

mscinocc@student.ubc.ca

Michael Scinocca CV

Top