Misaeng Episodes 12 and 13: Korean Honorifics and Office Culture in Misaeng

Synopsis: Geu-rae and his team proceeds with their profitable but controversial project facing many obstacles.

When I first went to U.S. to learn English as a fifteen years old Korean exchange student, the American language or English culture shocked me. It has very limited formality. For example, not only there is no word for me to replace the Korean honorifics but also what English have for formality is very limited. For example, there are Mr., Ms. and Mrs. to address teachers in school. Considering where I went was Southern U.S. conservative Christian community, I was lucky and less confused to have sir and ma’am to address my betters. I felt very uncomfortable since my host father wanted me to address him as “Tim” not Mr. Thames. I had been raised to be respectful using proper honorifics and formal language by my parents. However, at the time, I could not help but feel that the language was limiting me to be the respectful person I had been raised to become.

Throughout episodes 12 and 13, I witnessed many cases of people being “chewed out” by their superiors. I agree that some “chewing out” could be considered acceptable since what is at stake for some people is their livelihood. For example, these people could lose their job should the project they are working on fails. However, I could not help but feel uncomfortable during some exchange of personal insults including calling whoever is younger and lower in position “saeki”. At this point, I must argue that even though such honorifics and formality I have been taught throughout my entire life make Korean conversations sound polite and respectful, they are also used to limit, put down and claim authority over younger generation especially when it comes to Korean office culture demonstrated in Misaeng.

According to Lee and Ramsey, “the most important determining factor in honorific usage is the age of the interactant, with other factors being social rank, solidarity and the context of the exchange” (as cited in Yoon 2005, 196). Furthermore, “people maintain and respect the notion that those of advanced age have a certain authority” mentions Yoon (2005, 196). Yoon finally claims that Koreans consider older people or noin as “not like me and as people above me” (2005, 199). In all cases, people scolding others at work are usually older and hold superior position in Misaeng. The older age combined with superior positions, the Drama depicts personal insults during scolding as common phenomenon in Korean office culture while people being scolded would normally and simply stand there and listen. Such verbal abuse is one-direction phenomenon as it only goes from the people with higher position to the lower position within the company. If the “scoldee” talk back, he/she would be ostracized because there is a continuing pressure for the younger generation to conform to social norms of respecting older people according to Brown (2011, 119). Especially since “Korean conceptualization of social relationships is hierarchical and vertical” according to Yoon (2005, 194), personal insults in the forms of verbal abuse only intensify in office culture where there is an additional hierarchical dynamics of positions.  Although I agree that age and social positions should be respected to establish order as a Korean, I must argue that age and position do not enable anyone to verbally abuse others regardless of circumstances.

As I mentioned previously, younger generation in Korean office culture are often targeted for verbal abuse. I personally and strongly believe age and higher position in office culture does not prove anything for individuals. Such Korean culture of using honorifics and formality should never be assumed as an instrument to treat younger people without any respect. Regardless of age, all Korean generations should treat each other with respect being proud of politeness encrypted in their language.

Works Cited:

6. Brown, Lucien. “Korean Honorifics and ‘Revelaed’, ‘Ignored’ and ‘Suppressed’ Aspects of Korean Culture and Politeness,” in Korean Honorifics and Korean Culture. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011

Yoon, Kyung-Joo. “Not Just Words: Korean Social Models and the Use of Honorifics.” Intercultural Pragmatics 1, no. 2 (July 2005): 189-210. Accessed July 15, 2018.

Read 9 comments

1. Hey Anthony, Good job on your essay.

I like how you included your own experience in learning English and how it was a major culture shock (due to it being a less formal language). I can related to your situation, as I am currently learning Japanese which is also a very formal language and I find it difficult to figure out how to address people.

I also enjoyed your analysis on how characters in Misaeng use and abuse honorifics, when dealing with their colleagues. I personally do not know any Korean, which limits my understanding of the intricate ways in which these characters interact, however I found from what I did understand to be unacceptable. I agree that respecting those in a higher position and of older age is important. Those above you normally have a wealth of knowledge and experience. However, I think those in such higher positions, should curb their own disrespect to those below them. The way higher ups in Misaeng act should be seen as acting improperly, however this is not the case. And their seems to be no built in protection for younger employees, to shield themselves from the verbal abuse of their superiors. I wonder if this is something needed to be addressed as a culture or just for people in the workplace?

2. Hi Anthony,

I agree with your point regarding honorifics. Personally, I think the Korean honorific system is very confusing, yet, I respect it for existing. I think that it is proper to speak to everyone in honorifics unless both sides are willing to drop it. It gives a sense of respect to the other person and lowers the misunderstanding in terms of word choices. As I have previously consumed Korean culture products, I have heard of many different ways to just say “thanks.” There are different endings such as yo and nida which seems very confusing for non-native speakers. Although the learning barrier might be higher, I still support formal honorifics to be used. As for the way that seniors are verbally abusing the juniors, I think that this is not just a problem with speech, rather, a problem of respect. Even when a person is using honorifics, they can still be rude with their word choices. However, I do think that some people can be ruder to the workers. The reason is that some jobs have the notion of being paid to be disrespected. An example is in the service industry. Many cold callers often get verbally abused on the phone and while this may not be acceptable in general, it is accepted for those workers since they are paid to get yelled at. Still, I reserve that people should not be too overly rude as it will harm the person that is being abused.

3. Hey Anthony,

The connection you put between Korean honorifics and the drama was well put. I am happy that you were able to share your personal experience of using Korean honorifics during your childhood. I agree with you that just because there is a hierarchy in the workplace, that does not mean verbal abuse should be endorsed. I feel this sort of mentality is what makes any company corrupt when people of higher positions abuse their power against the subordinates. I do not think this can be easily solved as it would take a lot of inhumane procedures, such as constantly surveilling the workplace to ensure a respectful work environment. I can see a lot of problems with Korean honorifics since there a lots of things to be cautious of. I do not think Korean honorifics is something people should neglect, however. It is what brought displine and respect that is fundamental in Korea’s culture. As long as the parties know their intention in terms of politeness, i do not think Koreans need to worry so much about what to say.

4. Hey Anthony,

I also enjoyed reading your take on Korean honorifics and sharing your personal experience with English/Korean. I would also agree with Michelle and Martin that the honorific system is at times – confusing and complex, but I also appreciate the levels of formality in place with this system, like in other languages such as Japanese, compared to English (as you mentioned). Based on my personal experience as well, with Chinese (whether if that may be Mandarin or Cantonese), there are different words/expressions to address the other, but I would have to say that the formality of Korean honorifics is much more prominent and structured.

With the situation of working with others in the workplace, I would say that while it is important to acknowledge and show respect to higher ups, however, when the power dynamics are being abused by the higher ups towards the subordinates would really take a toll in the long run for the team. Martin’s comment on working in the industry to ‘get paid’ to get yelled at, reminded me of the program “Hell’s Kitchen,” which really brings in light of this situation. The idea of showing team spirit (i.e. ‘one-heart’, or ‘one team’), showing a collective identity, seems to defeat the purpose here if the higher up is not being a team player to lead the group. I do not think it is healthy for everyone to be in this kind of work environment where everyone is angry with each other. I also agree with Jordan that just because one has a higher position does not entitle you to verbally abuse your power (unless the person did do something wrong, then that is another case). And for people like Geu-rae, it would be a real struggle for them to really work their way around this work environment.

At the end of the day, if one’s intentions is genuine and the message goes across respectfully, in the same fashion, if people treated the way they would like to be treated, with one another, then it would be problem solved.

5. Hey Anthony, good article! I strongly agree with you about the negative side of Korean honorifics, especially in the workplace. True respect and deference need to be earned through wise actions and admirable behaviour, not simply given based on a person’s age or position. Korean people value honorific and hierarchy too much so that older people neglect the importance to respect subordinates. High ups should not use their power to abuse or verbal abuse people due to their position. I understand honorific is part of the Korean culture but workplace abuse should be forbidden and solve for all time.

6. Hey Anthony, I could relate very much to your essay!
    I hated how much the superiors verbally assaulted their subordinates to the point of embarrassing them in front of their coworkers and degrading them. It was completely unnecessary how far some of these bosses went and was very unprofessional. I don’t understand how people can not report complaints like this more to HR or to the company as it affects the workplace atmosphere and efficiency.
    Yes, respect should be given to your superiors, but this triggered me very much as I dislike when people take advantage of the honourifics system like demonstrated in the drama.
    I feel the age gap honorifics is too structures and strict, as just because you are 6 months to 1 year older does not make you “the shit” and should not allow you to be disrespectful and abusive towards those younger than you. Everyone deserves to be treated with some dignity and respect.
    Thanks!

7. Your bib.
    – delete 6.
    – Brown, Lucien. “Korean Honorifics and ‘Revelaed’, ‘Ignored’ and ‘Suppressed’ Aspects of Korean Culture and Politeness.” In Korean Honorifics and Korean Culture (italicize). page numbers!!. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011
    – Yoon, Kyung-Joo. “Not Just Words: Korean Social Models and the Use of Honorifics.” Intercultural Pragmatics 1, no. 2 (July 2005): 189-210. Accessed July 15, 2018. –> It’s not July 15, 2018 yet. And you don’t need accessed date anyway.

In-text citation, just a minor thing
    – In one paragraph you cite Yoon’s article several times in a row. Put (Ibid) if it’s from the same page number or put (Ibid, page number) if it’s different.

I’ll come back later for feedback on your essay.

8. I really enjoyed this blog. For my own life with learning Korean language I have had a huge problem with using 반말 (low form) at the correct times. Because in my American brain I have hard-wired that respect is connected to these linguistic choices, I would prefer to use more polite Korean (I can use formal ~ㅂ니다/까 Korean, but I prefer the milder politeness of the 요 yo form) at any time that I respect the other person (which is most of the time, right, otherwise why would I be interacting with them?). That means that in my stupid American brain I want to use 요 endings even in conversations with kids or people I am very close to. But for a Korean that can be weird (the listener, I mean), and it can create a social distance that I do not intend (with friends). At the same time, again b/c of my American brain I find it very easy to use informal or impolite Korean when I am angry or dislike someone (and most of the people who make me angry are older and male and are trying to push me down and believe that I am below them). So, in the exact situation when I should be using formal Korean, I’m most likely to suddenly start speaking 반말. kkkkk. This has, of course, gotten me in trouble more than a few times.