Journey to Good Health

by Rick Byers on August 17, 2009

From last week’s blog I had made mention of returning to visit an old friend in the gym. When sitting down this week to do the same, it occurred to me to visit an older friend on two wheels first.

A glimpse into cycling in Vancouver in the 80’s if you will.

At the time, I was living in Kitsilano. For $20.00, I rediscovered the joy of cycling; not the high–end, super fast mountain bike experience but the second-hand, 10-speed, comfortable pace experience.

My route was as follows: Mount bike at Blenheim and Cornwall St. Cycle down Cornwall towards Kit’s Beach. At Kit’s Beach, dismount bike and walk through the beach and park area to the other side. Remount bike and continue to foot of Burrard St. bridge (west side) Dismount bike and walk over the bridge. Remount at Pacific Ave. and cycle along English Bay until you have to dismount and walk the remainder of the way to the Beach St. entrance to Stanley Park. Remount and take bike path to Georgia St. bike entrance.

While on Stanley Park internal bike path, dismount when travelling through pedestrian areas or as directed by signs. Pretend how you would feel if you were a pedestrian and someone came out of the trees towards you as if they were cycling the Mission Speedway.

At the Georgia St. Stanley Park entrance, cycle Stanley Park, counter clockwise on bike path. Cycle at a comfortable pace with no racing or endangering pedestrians, skate boarders, seniors, lost squirrels, neurotic crows and roller blade enthusiasts. Cycle around the park to Second Beach and English Bay again. Retrace your route and dismounts along English Bay, over Burrard St. bridge, through Kit’s Beach and back to Blenheim and Cornwall. 

With stopping my bike at 3rd beach to read my book for ½ hour, the entire trip took 3 ½ to 4 hours. Marvelous.

Throughout my trips, I never experienced any problems from pedestrians, motorists or other cyclists.

While I do not live in Vancouver anymore, there is no reason that I cannot apply the same regimen in my current neighborhood of Surrey. If I have time constraints of an hour or so, shorten the route. For me, the point is to be in motion, to be moving my legs for a long period of time as apposed to an intense (or racing form) type of cycling. I was benefitting from the duration of the exercise experience as compared to the intensity.

Next week – now to visit an old friend at the gym.

Have a week of good health,

Rick