Headaches are a pain in the neck

by Grace on August 28, 2009

2009-1-12-skull_xray_with_headache

I get headaches about four or five times each month.  They are normally bearable and ibuprofen is usually effective.  In the past week, however, I have been waking up with really bad headaches – throbbing pain that gets worse with movement.  I suspect my headaches are caused by muscle tension in my neck.  Despite my attempts to stretch, my chiropractor tells me that my muscles are still quite stiff.  As I’ve been waking up with these headaches, perhaps it has to do with the position I sleep in.  My chiropractor has told me to sleep on my back but I can’t seem to fall asleep that way.  Exercise is supposed to help tension headaches so I really need to get back that back into my routine.

Read an article about headaches caused by medication overuse.  If painkillers are taken regularly over a long period of time, they can become the source of headaches.  According to the article, codeine or triptan-based drugs should not be taken more than 10 days a month and paracetamol or ibuprofen should not be taken more than 15 days a month.  Although I always carry ibuprofen with me (you never know when a headache might strike), I am no where near that number.

{ 2 comments }

Jolene 08.28.09 at 2:28 pm

how many pillows do you sleep on?
my chiro told me to use only one pillow under my head, to maintain the natural cervical curve.
When I haven’t been adjusted in awhile, I also find it difficult to sleep on my back, maybe check with your chiropractor and find out if there is a special pillow designed for side or stomach sleepers…whichever one you are.

Grace 08.28.09 at 3:06 pm

thanks, jolene. i sleep on one thin pillow. my chiropractor told me to put a pillow between my knees when i sleep on my side but i find that very uncomfortable.

Comments on this entry are closed.