Journey to Good Health

by Rick Byers on September 21, 2009

Before I begin this week’s article, I wanted to take this opportunity to pay tribute to my fellow bloggers. I have learned a lot about maintaining a proper diet, doing regular exercises, taking on new challenges and, perhaps of greatest importance, to have no more excuses.

As my fellow bloggers continue to write about the above subjects so well, I have concentrated my last two blogs on the maintaining of good mental health or how: “a happy being is a healthy being.” or “a happy bean is a healthy bean.”

Have you ever been knee deep in concern about something when you have been blindsided by something else so hilarious that you are instantly transformed from being a piece of the Newfoundland iceberg that sunk the Titantic to the breathtaking Shannon waterfalls that you find outside of the beautiful mountain community of Squamish?

At first blush, you might feel guilty for breaking faith with the gods of worry. But perhaps there is a higher power attempting to keep life in perspective for you. These people are not gods though. They are our relatives, friends and even strangers from the other side of the world. No sales pitches. No contracts to sign. Simply humans wanting to share a smile with other humans. You have to like the idea.

And this instant stress reliever is as close as your email mailbox.

By this time, my son has supercharged his Toshiba lap top for another season and is officially launched into his 4th year of Business at SFU. From his previous 3 years, he knows that it is best to assume that the pressure to pass, let alone to do well, will be relentless and never ending until he is otherwise advised. Make no assumptions and take no prisoners.

An ideal candidate for the sending of instant stress relief!

Of course the degree of success of the intervention depends on several factors:

1. Mood of the receiver at the time. On the verge of panic and absolute mental meltdown usually enhances the ‘surprise’ effect of the communication resulting in an 8 to 10 reaction level to a joke normally rated at a 5 to 6.
  2. Low blood sugar level and degree of light-headiness could invoke an 8 to 10 reaction to the same joke.
  3. The more outrageous the content, the better.  Example: Emails predicting the Toronto Argonauts to win this year’s Grey Cup.

This crisis intervention is accessible all the time and costs the same as monthly internet fees.

Can we say that about psychotherapy?

Next week: Chicken Catching: The Original Shoulder Muscle Building Exercise.

Have a week of good health.

Rick

{ 1 comment }

Jolene 09.22.09 at 12:30 pm

the more outrageous the content, the better?
I’ve got an even better one for ya, Rick.
“Leafs win the cup this year. ”
Pass it on.

Comments on this entry are closed.