Unit 1

Application Letter

#12, 1975 Alma Street
Vancouver, BC V6R 3P8
September 23, 2015

English 301
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC

Dear English 301 Colleagues,

Please consider my application to be part of your professional writing team for the online course, English 301, at the University of British Columbia (UBC). I am currently in my second degree, studying Computer Science and Commerce. My previous degree is in Biology and Economics from the University of Alberta (U of A) in Edmonton.

My focus at the U of A was studying Microbiology and Genetics where writing a strong research paper was critical for success.  A huge component of these reports was the integration of academic articles found on online databases. What we learned was, having legitimate references was and is key for writing. I hope to utilize this instrumental asset with your team.

After studying at the U of A, I was employed with Ledcor Construction Limited working as a full time Document Control and Travel Coordinator. My professional role required me to utilize many business oriented communication channels as I was responsible for coordinating over one hundred personnel on a multi-million dollar project for Syncrude. Having strong communication skills, I was able to approach tasks outside my scope of work adding value to all parties involved while contributing greatly to a successful and profitable project.

Volunteering with programs such as the Korol Cup (hockey tournament) also strengthened my writing abilities through use of correspondences and formal letters. This program also tested my ability to work in a group settings. Freedom of expression of ideas, organization and punctuality is critical for good cohesion within a group and I integrated these ideals along with the communication techniques to help ensure a smooth running tournament.

I have learned a great deal from my experiences and hope that I can internalize and consequently apply the knowledge. Although I have many strengths in writing, my greatest weaknesses stem from the subjective nature of it. I find I always want to ensure readers can clearly understand my point which forces me to continuously go back to the sketch pad. Working together on projects I hope to implement ways, for example creating clear notes, to ensure I get my point across.

I feel with my experience and past education I bring a fresh perspective to the table. I would greatly appreciate the experience gained through working with your professional writing team.  Should you have any questions please contact me via email at mitchel.sharko@gmail.com.

Thank you for your interest,

Technical Writing 301/ Sept 2015
Mitchel Sharko

English 301 – Mitchel Sharko – Application Letter