Biography

Hello! My name is Mitchel and I recently graduated with a Computer Science and Commerce degree at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Raised in  Alberta, I moved to Kelowna, British Columbia with my family at the age of eight.  If you are unfamiliar with the Okanagan and Kelowna, I would strongly suggest taking a look to see what the region has to offer. I can assure you, it will be time well spent.  I am also very fortunate to have spent my winter weekends up at Big White.

After what seemed like an eon in teenagers eyes, I graduated with honours from the Kelowna Secondary School completing the French Immersion, Applied Science and Career Science programs.   I then left my family to study Biology and Economics at the University of Alberta.  During this program, I also studied abroad at Lancaster University in Lancaster, United Kingdom.  Here I attended courses (modules) in Biogeochemistry, Microbiology and International Economics.  Upon completion of the degree, a decision was made to take some time from school to gain experience in a professional environment.  After two years working as a Coordinator for Ledcor Construction, I decided my next educational step would be in Computer Science.

Current Goals and Their Application In Professional Environments:

Academically, the completion of my Computer Science degree was at the top of the list.  I am now hoping to utilize the knowledge gained in my program in a position at a high-energy, fun, and creative firm.   I have spent a considerable amount of time learning object-oriented computer programming languages such as Java and Python, and am excited to demonstrate my abilities. I also believe my time at Sauder School of Business has provided me with the tools to operate in many disciplines. My Entrepreneurship class is an excellent example of this as the course amalgamates the theoretical information we have learned in Finance and Marketing, and applies them in real world scenarios.

Aside from expanding my knowledge of computer languages, another personal goal of mine is to learn as many spoken languages as I can.  I currently speak advance French, have a year and a half of University level Spanish under my belt and have taken a basic course in Mandarin.  I have also spent some time living in Germany where I took evening classes learning the language (up to A2). Moving forward I would love to learn a bit of Japanese and Russian.  Why the languages you may ask? Meeting new faces is important to me.  I feel you can develop a stronger connection with others by communicating with them in their native language. Having the opportunity to backpack in Europe for a few months only further reinforced this idea.