Formal Report Proposal

Formal Report Proposal

To:                   Erika Paterson, Professor
From:              Mitchel Sharko, Student MS
Date:                October 3rd, 2015
Subject:           Proposal for Determining the Feasibility of Implementing an iClicker App

Introduction

Having an in-class response system is a very valuable tool to have at UBC, especially in classroom settings which have upwards of 200 students.  A wireless in-class response system such as an iClicker is a great management tool.  It gives both professors and students an idea of current comprehension levels and helps to monitor classroom attendance.  Students are shown to be more engaged in classes where they are utilized and they are even positively correlated with stronger grades.

Statement of Problem

Current iClickers sell for $44.95 new and $32.40 used at the UBC bookstore. As tuition continues to escalate, disposable income levels drop and anyway students are able to save money would be opportune. Aside from the cost, problems also arise when students forget their device or worse, loose them forcing them to purchase new ones. Students then miss out on participation marks or in-class quizzes, issues affecting their final grade.

Proposed Solution

One proposed solution for these issues is to integrate the iClicker software onto multiple electronic devices such as a smartphone or laptop computer.  Students would be able to download the application and pair their app device to the compiling system similar to the current process.  Having no need for another physical device they would be able to realize considerable cost savings. If a student did manage to loose their smartphone they would always be able to download the program again.  The greatest part of this solution is the technology is already available, it just isn’t being used.

Scope

To assess the feasibility of integrating an iClicker app:

1. What is the current market trend for users for in-class response systems? Is the base growing?
  2. What are the current competitors for an iClicker?
  3. How difficult would it be to integrate an app into the classroom? What would be the major hurdles?
  4. How many students have smartphones and/or personal laptops which they bring to school on a daily basis?
  5. What price would students be willing to pay for an iClicker smartphone app?
  6. How would professors who integrate iClickers feel about the use of incorporating the system into a smartphone/laptop?

Methods

Primary sources include both UBC professors who do and don’t integrate iClickers into their teaching curriculum. I also seek to communicate with the iClicker maker, Reef Polling, to determine what schools are using the app version currently.  I am hoping to talk to representatives of these universities to determine costs and any information they may have on the product.  I would like to communicate with the UBC Information Technology department to determine the feasibility of incorporating the software.  I also hope to conduct a survey determining if students would be interested in getting an iClicker app.

Secondary sources will include publications on the uses of iClickers and any information pertaining to the use of the app.

My Qualifications

I have been utilizing iClickers since first year undergraduate studies at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.   Therefore, I have much experience with them. I am currently studying Computer Science and Commerce at UBC and am looking for ways to create an impact while utilizing the knowledge I gained through the program. Another benefit of studying computer science is having the ability to network with faculty and students in the software engineering field.

Conclusion

It is apparent action needs to be taken to help students with the growing costs of a post secondary education.  I have always been told that it is the school’s aim to ensure their students are successful. Why not help them with the simple implementation of an iClicker app? By addressing the areas of inquiry mentioned under the Scope header, I can determine the feasibility of integrating the iClicker app into classroom settings.  With your approval I will begin research immediately.

Link: English 301 – Mitchel Sharko – Research Proposal