Group Platform Evaluation: Observations & Reflections

This assignment was my first experience working on a fully online collaborative group project. I learned so much through this process. At first it was somewhat intimidating working with group members who were much further along in the program than I was, but it ended up being a great motivation for me to learn a lot and learn quickly.

I invested a great deal of time researching the differences between proprietary, open-source, open and cloud-based LMS platforms and better understanding the complexities surrounding platform selection. I can now talk about LMS in a much more informed way and gained a very good foundation for how to go about selecting a LMS. I gained more confidence working with others in this field and felt I was able to contribute equally.

In terms of collaborative work in general, I also learned more about the need to have a clear meeting agenda to maximize efficiency in meetings, the importance of responding quickly to messages from other members, how to negotiate in terms of dividing work,  dealing with misunderstandings, and the need to adapt to changing group dynamics.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and somewhat changed my mind about group work. I learned much more working in with this group than I would have been able to learn on my own. It provided better focus and by having diverse opinions, and negotiating and discussing things along the way, we were able to come up with a much more informed and well thought out final assignment.

Check out our platform evaluation here