Week 3 [The Under Dogs]

For this week’s reading, I was thrilled when I started reading and realised that it is a novel written by a Mexican. It is based on the Mexican Revolution, a very familiar topic. It was nice to find out that it was the first novel of its type to be translated into English, which is part of the appeal for its inclusion in the syllabus.

Moreover, getting into the story. By reading the title, you can get an idea of what the novel is about. It more or less retails the story about a group of “underdogs” or “misfits” that, for their particular reasons, are fighting in the Mexican Revolution alongside the rebels. We get to experience why the main characters in the book are where they are at the moment. There is Demetrio, who, because of a misunderstanding, is now looking for revenge; there is Cervantez, a deserter, La Pintada and Camila, who is kind of in love with Demetrio. They all have different backgrounds, personalities, and abilities, fighting for the exact cause.

I found it interesting how. This book suggests that many people fighting with the rebels and partaking in the revolution do not know why they do it. Several times throughout the text, many things about the process are questioned, such as: Who is leading it? Why are they doing it? Why does the conflict persist?

I found that particularly interesting because even at the most superficial level of understanding of the Mexican Revolution, you can tell that it was about the injustice of the dictatorship that had ruled over Mexico for over 30 years, and you can tell that there is. Right and wrong side. But this text questions that, which is a point I had not seen done before.

Another part of the end of the cycle is how we, as readers, are taken back to Demetrios’ home, where he wishes to see his family again. And in the same place where it all started, he is outnumbered and assassinated. All with this prior sense, he didn’t exactly know why the fighting was going on or what was even the cause they were fighting for.

I had never heard about this novel before this class, but I am glad I picked it over the other one as it connected me with a part of my heritage.
My question for you this week is. Have you heard about the Mexican Revolution (Aside from its existence) before? If yes, what had you heard about it?

« »