Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Meta

Archive for September, 2012

Cool sources of information

Sunday, September 30th, 2012

In keeping with the tradition of internet sources I give to you the gold standard in open source investment information, http://www.investopedia.com. This is your go to place for up to date information on the rules, regulations, and definitions of the game. The site hosts a whole encyclopedia of financial terms and jargon. In addition the […]

The road ahead

Sunday, September 30th, 2012

With news of growing pessimism for world harvests, uncertainty in the livestock market, austerity measures and civil unrest in Europe, a strengthening US dollar, and a growing volatility in the competing grains and oils, it safe to say conditions are making forecasting in the short term a bit like guessing which way a leaf will […]

What went wrong, but could have gone worse

Sunday, September 30th, 2012

I opened the week by taking a long position on two soy contracts and a short position on two contracts of corn on the 25th. Checking the markets early the next morning I decided to exit my long soy position at a stop loss, taking a loss of $4000. Feeling the sting of a healthy […]

There’s gold in them there fields!

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012

Well, it’s been an exciting first week of trading. It appears as though the markets are beginning to stabilize after a summer of extreme volatility. However, questions over the strength of the US dollar and and a tremendous amount of product yet to be harvested means we are not out of the woods yet. The […]

Oil, Politics, and Other Slick Business

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012

I was asked to discuss and summarize a recent interview with Gil McGowan, the president of Alberta Federation of Labour (AFL), on cbc Radio (link at the end of my ramblings). Here’s the “too long; didn’t read” version of it for those lazy time efficient readers out there; The NGP will connect Alberta’s oil sands […]