Basic Philosophy

Teaching Philosophy

My classroom discourse is an invitation to pursue a life of learning through exchanging ideas and developing thinking processes. My approach to learning and teaching focuses on gaining and utilizing knowledge in order to make sense of new information and situation. As a new teacher, my role would be to link and promote new learning in an intellectually challenging and stimulating learning environment for every student (Freiberg, 1996). I believe that every student can be encouraged to use their natural curiosity and problem-solving abilities to further inquire about interesting situations, patterns, and relationships in mathematics and the real world. I have high expectations from all of my students to learn mathematics with understanding in a safe, supportive, and cooperative classroom environment.

Today’s learners are empowered with digital tools and have access to engaging and thought provoking information and knowledge. It is unfair to expect learners to passively absorb the knowledge transmitted by their teachers. As a teacher, I value and encourage students to pose questions that encourage reflection. In my classrooms there is no place for such a thing as “dumb question” or “stupid question.” For instance, students can expect the following types of questions from me or from their peers throughout the classroom discourse: a) have you seen something like this before? b) why do you think that is true? c) did anyone get the answer in a different way? d) what would happen if …? e) how does this relate to something else that you have learned? When designing and implementing classroom activities and experiences, interactive dynamic tools will play a major role in stimulating students’ curiosity to explore mathematical ideas and interest to pursue mathematical investigations. Thus, in my classrooms, digital tools, technologies, and manipulatives will influence how mathematics is taught and enhance students’ learning.