2.4 Dichotomies: What Purpose Do They Serve?

First stories tell us how the world was created. In The Truth about Stories, King tells us two creation stories; one about how Charm falls from the sky pregnant with twins and creates the world out of a bit of mud with the help of all the water animals, and another about God creating heaven and earth with his words, and then Adam and Eve and the Garden. King provides us with a neat analysis of how each story reflects a distinct worldview. “The Earth Diver” story reflects a world created through collaboration, the “Genesis” story reflects a world created through a single will and an imposed hierarchical order of things: God, man, animals, plants. The differences all seem to come down to co-operation or competition — a nice clean-cut satisfying dichotomy. However, a choice must be made: you can only believe ONE of the stories is the true story of creation – right? That’s the thing about creation stories; only one can be sacred and the others are just stories. Strangely, this analysis reflects the kind of binary thinking that Chamberlin, and so many others, including King himself, would caution us to stop and examine. So, why does King create dichotomies for us to examine these two creation stories? Why does he emphasize the believability of one story over the other — as he says, he purposefully tells us the “Genesis” story with an authoritative voice, and “The Earth Diver” story with a storyteller’s voice. Why does King give us this analysis that depends on pairing up oppositions into a tidy row of dichotomies? What is he trying to show us?

———

I think what King is trying to do with the two creation stories he shares in The Truth about Stories, is divulge how despite his acknowledgment of the difference in creation stories, ultimately, there is still one that must prevail over the other. In this regard, it is as though he sets up this row of dichotomies for the purpose of showing his readers that while we are meant to exercise our subjectivity to choosing what we we want to believe, we are engrained to believe one story more than the other. There is an inevitability in having to establish one story as ‘more right’ than the other; it is merely unavoidable. In telling us the “Genesis” story in an authoritative voice, it is as though King implies that despite “The Earth Diver” story’s captivating, storyteller’s voice, it holds no place in comparison to the biblical creation story. I interpreted this dichotomy as King acknowledging the beauty and co-operation in the Native creation story, yet cautioning us that, especially to the Western world, it is as though individuals are more inclined to accept the Christian story, for “we are necessarily blind to the world that Charm and the Twins and the animals help create” (25).

I also found King‘s notion that one story must be sacred while the others remain just stories to be quite interesting as well, because as Dr. Paterson has noted, this sort of strict dichotomy is ironically exactly what Chamberlain and King himself have been arguing against; the fact that King presents us with two creation stories yet states that the “Genesis” story is told in an authoritative matter discredits the degree of choice he wants us to exercise in the first place. Just as Chamberlain cautions his readers against focusing on the binaries of reality and imagination, or real and make believe, King’s emphasis of the fact that “if we believe one story to be sacred, we must see the other as secular” (25) is quite perplexing, and throws off all that we have been taught so far.

However, the way I interpreted King’s examination, is that while we are capable of exercising a sort of subjective control in what we want to believe or not believe, the element of rank is always present. This goes with everything – despite claiming that things are of equal importance, rank, truth, desirability, etc. when it comes down to it, I believe that things are always put into a sort of hierarchal order, be it explicitly or implicitly; intentionally or unintentionally. Despite our best efforts to remain neutral and to acknowledge the accuracy and degree of truth in both Christian and Native stories respectively, we will inevitably be influenced to believe that there is one universal creation story that reigns supreme above any others; in this case, King suggests that it is the authoritative “Genesis” story. With this in mind, King essentially tries to show us that while there can be two creation stories and two different conceptions of a single truth, one always prevails over the others when put into a hierarchical order.

Kennedy, Paul. “The 2003 CBC Massey Lectures, “The Truth about Stories: A Native Narrative.” cbc. CBC, 7 November 2003. Web. 19 February 2016.

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. Peterbough:Anansi Press. 2003. Print.

4 thoughts on “2.4 Dichotomies: What Purpose Do They Serve?

1. Hi Neia! Really interesting blog post, I think you’ve made some excellent points about the impossibly of true equality about stories, and I agree that there have been some contradictions present in the texts we’ve been reading for class.

I’m personally of the opinion that there is no such thing as true objectivity, and it’s inevitable that we bring our past experiences with us when we encounter literature. Do you think there’s any ways we can at least ‘lessen’ the spaces between stories, in the sense that even though we still see one story as reigning supreme over others, that there’s a way of looking at the lesser stories as more equal, though they never fully will be equal?

• Thanks, Natalie!

That’s actually a very true as well– that it’s inevitable that we incorporate our subjective experiences when we encounter literature. To answer your question, I do think it’s possible to ‘lessen’ the spaces between stories and to decrease the separation between the ‘most important’ and ‘least important’ stories, however I do think it’ll be tough to accomplish. I think it would be difficult predominantly because I feel as though it is so socially engrained in us to categorize things and place stories into a neatly structured hierarchy, be it either intentionally or unintentionally. Given that this has become so instinctive and habitual for us as individuals, it would be tough to pinpoint the most effective way to fix it because we are so used to doing it without interruption or much contention. So with that being said, lessening the space is possible, but I imagine doing so is much easier said than actually done.

2. Hi Neia,

Thank you for the interesting blog post! It got me thinking a lot more about why King shows these dichotomies for us when telling both creation stories. You pose a effective argument, but I disagree with you. I am more inclined to think that King tells both creation stories as he does to reflect how society tells them, and to make readers think and question our practice of doing this.

With the Christian story it is well established in Western society and most people are familiar with it despite whether they are Christians or not. It is told, and taken, by many people as fact and truth. On the other hand we have the Native creation story about Charm. This story is most likely rarely told outside of First Nations communities, and if it is it is told as a myth. It is labelled as a nice story you might read to children to entertain themselves.

By telling these stories in his book the way we receive them in our everyday lives, and by drawing our attention to the difference I think King is trying to get his readers to understand why this difference is significant and how it down plays the important of First Nations culture. I do not think King would ever say that one truth will always prevail over the other because I think he is promoting equality between different truths throughout his book.

I didn’t write on this question but Nicholas Wilson wrote an interesting post on this too! https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl470nwilson/2016/02/20/lesson-22-assignment-24-blog-questions-1/#comments

I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this!

Nicole

• Hi Nicole!

I think your argument is really effective as well. Personally, I never actually approached it from that angle or viewpoint, but I am glad you brought it to my attention. I think it is very plausible that King tells both creation stories for the purpose of divulging the ways in which society tells them, and establishing an equal appreciation and understanding for the stories in their own respect.

Thanks for your input; it really made me contemplate this matter further. 🙂

– Neia