Detroit Impact Brainstorming: From Vision to Action

After listening to panelists and key note speakers all day, I was inspired – but I needed something to get my energy level back up. So on Friday afternoon I attended the Detroit Impact Brainstorming Session. This was a great workshop that allowed me to get my hands dirty solving a real life problem. I must admit, it was a little intimidating at first sitting down at a table with only a handful of people, but once I saw the post-it note pads, I knew exactly what I was in for. Luckily I was introduced to the Design Thinking process a few weeks back and have practiced it several times since then. Seated around me were MBA students from various backgrounds; law, engineering, portfolio management, etc. We were briefed on the case in less then 5 minutes, and before I knew it I was scribbling down ideas.

The problem we addressed was as follows: although a storied American city with an iconic history, Detroit is a mere shadow of its former self. The city is facing major problems: a high crime rate, record unemployment, foreclosures, corruption and gang violence to name a few. In particular we focused on a neighbourhood about 7 miles east of downtown that was nearly abandoned. From aerial photographs we could see sparse housing, empty parking lots and very few amenities. Our task was to figure out how to revitalize this neighbourhood, and build a community that people could be proud of.

We began by discussing what it was that we valued most about where we live – a sense of community, safety, shared green-space, bike paths, fine cuisine and a short commute to work were a few that came up. These values transitioned to ideas about what should be in this development. Parks? Check. Farmers market? Sure. Dedicated pedestrian streets with a strict “no car” policy? Why not? A renewable energy plant pumping clean electricity to all residents? Now we’re talking! Before long our wall was full of ideas – some familiar, others a little far fetched, and some completely off the wall (build a giant water park??)

The session was a great way to get involved at the Net Impact conference – and it reinforced the fact that like it or hate it, design thinking is everywhere and can be a very effective brainstorming tool. The most rewarding thing about this session is that the case is an actual problem. The group involved with this development will actually build on these ideas to help put in motion the plans for this community and hopefully start bringing people back to Detroit. Who knows, maybe someday I’ll eat my words as I fly down a waterslide at Detroit’s newest water park….

One response to “Detroit Impact Brainstorming: From Vision to Action