Frustrations in the classroom

The topic of my post today is going to be “frustration” and how my SA handles her frustrations and the frustrations of the students in the classroom. This past Thursday was quite a disjointed and hectic day with a lot of new and exciting things happening in the school as it was not only picture day, but the students also had a earthquake drill.

My SA seems to handle frustration very well. I appreciate that she knows when she can be a little bit more lenient  with the students as well as knows when she needs to lay down the law. Something I have always believed in is “picking your battles” and I definitely saw this reflected in my SA’s interactions with the students. For example if they are working on an assignment she is accepting of a little bit of quiet chatter, however, if she is teaching a lesson she makes sure that the students are quiet and listening. One thing I did notice is that she started out very self-regulated and calm, however, after having to tell the students numerous times to be quiet or to not call out I could tell by the tone of her voice and her body language that she was starting to feel frustrated. Even though I could tell that she was starting to lose her cool, she is extremely well self-regulated and never lost it or yelled at the students, she simply kept reminding them of the expected behaviour.

I feel as if for the most part I am a pretty level headed individual, however, I am extremely interested to see just how self-regulated I am. I think that this will be a learning experience for me!

1 thought on “Frustrations in the classroom

1. It is so important to be able to self regulate and manage strong emotions when working with students. They take their cues from their teacher and the interactions they have often mirror the emotion being displayed. If the teacher is feeling and demonstrating frustration then the student may act accordingly or escalate inappropriate behaviour.
    It is a learning curve for each of us in terms of finding ways to self regulate in order to handle problems or difficult situations. It is good that you recognize this.