FIRST FORMAL LESSON ✓

Lesson Reflection:

My first formal lesson went extremely well. I was extremely grateful that I had spent a good portion of last week collecting classroom management strategies as it seemed to really pay off. I mostly used the classroom point system, but it worked very well and kept them on task and working the whole lesson. Thank-goodness for that!

The lesson was “Unit 5 Spelling” and I was teaching long I and long U words. I started by writing up words on the board and getting them to identify what letters make the long I and long u sounds. For example: RULE= U-E. The students has a good time guessing which letters work together to make the sounds.

Next we went over their new spelling words and defined them all. I alternated between giving them a definition and allowing them to define the words… which they loved. Then I went over their spelling worksheet with them and made sure they understood how to complete each section. Once I handed out the spelling sheets they went straight to work and were quiet as mice- which isn’t typically the norm for this group. I was so pleased with them 🙂

I had planned to end the lesson with a fun brain break of 4 corners, as they had been sitting, listening, and writing for awhile, however, my SA suggested that I would lose the kids if I did a brain break and it was best that I did not.

• This brought up a worry I’ve had for awhile in regards to lesson plans. I want my lesson plans to be fun and engaging for the students, however, I know that activities like these (that are more involved and require more freedom) also do not leave a lot of room for error. I worry that if I try to plan elaborate and engaging lesson plans that they might not run as smoothly as less involved and more simplistic lesson plans. I know that some lessons (simple or complex) are bound to go wrong every now and then, however, if I am being formally observed I definitely want it to go well. So then the question becomes boring lessons but good observation or take a risk?! Eek!

All in all I was very proud of my first lesson and thought that while I have areas to improve in, it went very well 🙂

1 thought on “FIRST FORMAL LESSON ✓

1. I think it is important to take risks with the students and incorporate movement and fun activities. We can talk more about how to boundary these so that you don’t lose the kids but still include them throughout your lessons. During your 10 week practicum, you will be doing much more teaching and will likely feel much more comfortable trying new ideas and strategies. It is important that you do in order to gain your own comfort around using these ideas in your lessons.