gak! I’m leaving tomorrow!

Those butterflies are fluttering around in my tummy now! My list of things to do have been whittled down to just a few items, and I’m now planning on what knitting projects to take with me, and what books to read. One of those books is Spellbound by Karen Palmer, which might spark some interesting conversation once I’m there.

Earlier this week I spoke with Julia Baldwin, 2010 L4C participant from the University of Guelph, who went to Ghana to work as an ICT Training Needs Advisor as well. She gave me the real deal when it comes to advice, it’s amazing how much more prepared I feel now. She recommended a bunch of  stuff to take, stuff I wouldn’t have thought of (a flashlight, bandanas, ziplock baggies, a vegetable peeler). She also recommended a guide from the very kickass  http://gisforghana.blogspot.com, which I promptly bought, downloaded and have been reading with fascination ever since.

I’ve procured a “crappy laptop” (a slow, older Vaio with Windows XP) to take with me, which I suspect will be better for creating training materials than my  Macbook Pro. Plus, if it goes missing, I won’t have a heart attack. All the USB memory sticks I’ll be taking with me have AVP on ’em, and I’ve loaded some other programs on DVDs that might take forever and a day to download (Open Office and some handy PC utility tools).

OK, off I go to tie up some loose work ends, then attend to those last few items on my to-do list and pack for GHANA, baby!

4 responses to “gak! I’m leaving tomorrow!