(6) Distribution

by Noelle ~ March 22nd, 2011. Filed under: Marketing.

Recently, I read an interesting blog posted on March 17 about how ABC killed their fan base on Influential Marketing Blog. The writer of the blog post was trying to find the latest episode of the ABC drama V that he missed on ABC.com. However, he was very frustrated when he found out that the site no longer allows people to watch the episodes of V online.

http://www.rohitbhargava.com

I totally agree with the writer that ABC.com should focus more on monetizing the content that they already have instead of trying to think of ways to prevent people from accessing the content. In addition, I think that even if it does not allow people to watch the full episodes online, it still cannot help to stop piracy around the world.

We are always talking about how important the marketing mix are to the company. In this case, I would like to focus on one of the four Ps – Place. It is very important to get the right product to the right place at the right time. I think that ABC.com should make their shows, dramas, and movies more available to its viewers. For example, they can put all the episodes online so that viewers can have access to them anytime they want, or they can sell the episodes online with a low charge. By increasing the distribution intensity, ABC.com can benefit from the increase in number of people viewing their content legally.