(5) RRRoll Up the Rim to Win

by Noelle ~ March 22nd, 2011. Filed under: Marketing.

In every March, Tim Hortons holds its annual “Roll Up the Rim to Win” contest. Beginning in 1986, Tim Hortons’ “Roll Up the Rim to Win” contest is celebrating its 25th anniversary with more than 47 million prizes and better odds of winning.

Learning from my marketing class, this contest is a sales promotion strategy that encourages consumers to purchase more of the product. Not only it encourages present consumers to buy more hot beverages from Tim Hortons, the contest also increases consumers’ involvement and generates excitement.

Last year, Tim Hortons received a lot of complaints about how hard it is for consumers to win in the contest. In response to the complaints, this year, Tim Hortons makes good use of the social media to provide daily updates about where the winners are on http://www.rolluptherimtowin.com.

Even though I am not a regular consumer of Tim Hortons, I found myself visiting Tim Hortons more often whenever the “Roll Up the Rim to Win” contest is held. Have you rrrolled up the rim yet?