A Class Filled With Good People.

Common values and ways to describe the sense of home (in order of prevalence and the amount of time/wordcount spent writing about that value).
1.) Family.
There were many different ways of exploring the importance of family and how at home family makes us feel, but it was the most consistent value brought up. Some people spent more time on siblings, others on parents, and some talked about their partners. In summary, home can be a person or people.
2.) Home grows.
My classmates used many different synonyms—expand, moves, etc.—but the idea that a home can change locations and add locations was consistent. There was also a more abstract way of looking at this by understanding how values of meditation can be found or expand or grow into different religions.
3.) Exploration.
Whether it be exploring new places, new ways of thinking, or new ways of doing things, my classmates seem to be very high on intellect/openness. I think valuing exploration ties into the idea that homes can grow.
4.) The sacredness of food.
Whether it be the smells that bring us back to our childhood, the food we ate with our siblings, or the foods associated with religion, the sense of home and what we value is intertwined with food.
5.) Balancing work with play.
This value wasn’t explicit in all the blogs I read, but there seemed to be a need to balance the things we ought to do and the things that bring us joy. The places, people, or life circumstances that allow us the find this balance seems to contribute to how at home we feel. Of course, these things can be the same at times.
6.) Nature.
This was usually glossed over or briefly mentioned; however, it was still mentioned in most of the blogs that I read. Whether it be the sight of the ocean, the smell of the forested endowment lands, the majestic mountains of North Vancouver, or a family garden, nature was a way to anchor us to both our old and new homes.

Different values and sense of home.
1.) Religion.
It was difficult for me to find values and descriptions of home that I did not share with my classmates. The closest thing that I could find was religion, but even the descriptions of religion were closely related to what I value and makes me feel at home. I might be an atheist in the religious sense of the word, but I could still relate to what my classmates described. I have done several types of meditation with my mother, I eat sacred meals, and I try and connect with people through movement and shared spiritual experiences.

Special Thanks to my classmates, Kynan, Charlotte, Kirsten Boyd, Marianne, Laen, and Simran. I chose my classmates in no particular order. For this assignment, I used the blogs that I saw posted first. I look forward to reading everyone else’s work as well.

Image result for People with good values

Smelt, Walter. “The Sacredness of Food.” Harvard Divinity School, 22 Nov. 2016, hds.harvard.edu/news/2016/11/22/sacredness-food#.

Villines, Zawn. “7 Types of Meditation: What Type Is Best for You?” Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, 22 Dec. 2017, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320392.php.