Minutes: October 26th, 2012

Announcements:

1. Trick-or-Eat is happening Wednesday October 31.  If you want to find your inner child and go “trick or eating”, you should consider participating!

• Participants will go door to door collecting food for the food bank.  The weather is getting colder and many people are in need of food at this time of year so volunteering your time would be a great way to help out the community!
  • If you are interested in volunteering please contact Robyn by emailing: nst.ubc@gmail.com

2. Our next meeting will be Friday November 2, at 12:00 in MacMillan 260.  Please sign up for roles!

Minutes

Thank you to everyone who came out to see our special guest, Dietitian Heather McColl.  Thank you as well to all who brought non-perishable food items.  They will be donated to the food bank through Trick-or-Eat.

The meeting was extremely interesting today and brought up many controversial topics in the nutrition world.  We discussed:

• Gluten free diets.
  • The sustainability of the current recommendations that dietitians are making.
  • The power of the food industry.
  • The various roles a dietitian can take in the community.

One message I took away from the meeting was that we need to work towards changing behaviors instead of just telling people to make changes.  I hope in the future more programs can be implemented to involve individuals directly in healthy eating and making choices that are sustainable for the environment.

I hope the meeting encouraged everyone to think critically instead of just accepting the information that is being presented to them!

I hope everyone who attended the meeting learned something new and we will see you next week!