Canada’s Oil and Gas Industry

No matter how I tried to ignore it – it was a continuous tug at the very heart of my existence. Time and again, I would say to myself and reaffirm consciously that I would have nothing to do with the “oil and gas industry” in Nigeria. This stemmed from the impression that I had during my teenage years – from the obscene pictures of burnt people scooping premium motor spirit from worn-out oil pipelines.

It is unfortunate to note that my country’s situation has not changed much in the past decade. Although, there have been improvements in some sectors, but overall there is still an obvious dearth of excellent methods in the areas of management, especially – operations. This is largely due to the lack of well-trained professionals. Based on my training, and my new outlook towards the “Oil and Gas” industry in Canada, I intend working as a Supply Chain and Marketing professional in the Oil and Gas industry in Canada gaining relevant experience and knowledge that could be applied to my native home, Nigeria.

Canada’s oil and gas industry has been attracting opportunities for jobs and investment for the past decade. This led to increasing investment in 2012. In addition to considerable interest and investment in exploring the potential for liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports from British Columbia, there was an acceleration of oil sands development in Alberta. Saskatchewan saw growth in light and heavy oil production. In Nova Scotia, Deep Panuke offshore gas project is expected to be in production later this year. In Newfoundland and Labrador, the Hebron offshore oil project moved into the development and construction phase, and is targeted for production in 2017.

Three key factors will drive demand for direct oil and gas workers over the next ten years including industry activity levels, age-related attrition and workforce competition would see the industry employ more hands in the coming years. Over C$60 billion in oil sands related projects have been proposed. Approximately C$20 billion has been invested to-date in completed projects. The key players in the industry are Shell, Suncor Energy, Transcanada, Total, Imperial Oil and Nexens.

Presently, with the demand in the U.S. flattening, Canada is at or near pipeline and processing capacity for present exports with no infrastructure for increased Canadian oil production to the south, west or east. A number of factors pose likely or imminent challenges to the Canadian oil industry, including the current inability to obtain market prices; decreased demand for Canadian oil due to increased U.S. production; environmental opposition along proposed pipeline routes to the west and south; and the resistance of the British Columbia government toward planned oil routes. While Canada faces energy export challenges attributed to infrastructure and diminishing U.S. demand, there is a significant opportunity to capitalize on the many returns offered by a country endowed with abundant resources that exceeds the in-country demand. I see myself contributing my quota to the efficient running of the operations of the Oil and Gas industry in Canada.

Sources: Petroleum Human Resources Council of Canada; National Energy Board and Pwc