Gillette Using the Business Model Canvas to its Advantage

I was reading Jiya Dassan’s Blog, and one of her posts caught my attention.  I found her blog post on Gillette creating a cheaper razor for men in India interesting because it perfectly demonstrates something that our instructors and teaching assistant have been preaching the entire semester, which is that all of the building blocks of the business model canvas are tied together, and if you change one of them, then other blocks are going to be altered as well.  This post demonstrates this because it shows how changing the customer segment aspect of the business model canvas from Canadian and American men to men in India has resulted in a change of a lot of the other building blocks as well.  For example, Gillette had to change its value proposition because; “men in India usually shave less often, have thicker hair, and are more price sensitive than Americans”.  The change in the value proposition also lead to a change in the cost structure segment, as cheaper razors for consumers means Gillette must lower their costs as well, so their margins don’t take a huge hit.  I personally believe that if a company changes one aspect of the business model canvas, but does not alter the other connected blocks, then the company will not be successful in achieving their goals.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Challenge [Web Photo]. Retrieved from http://moodbuddy.finesoft.com.sg/events/view/18