To Transform is to Write

ASSIGNMENT 2:6

7] Following Carlson’s discussions on literacy as “part of a broader genre of transformation” (61), try to explain what he means when he says that transformation is an “act of literacy.” This can be confusing at first, but if you follow his discussion beginning with “how Salish people understand the process or act of transformation in relation to literacy itself” and pay attention to how he uses etymology to shape his insights, you should be able to extract an explanation for conceptualizing transformations as writing and as readable.

It is widely recognised that the Indigenous stories, particularly those transformative ones that look at the “beginning of time” (Robinson 7), play a critical role in the way in which we define indigeneity. The stories told by the Aboriginal elders or chiefs or prophets reflects not only what beliefs and values they hold as a cultural group but how they make sense of the world, their historical identity as well as the strategies that prepare them for continuing transformations in an ever changing environment. As revealed by the two Salish stories about transformation investigated in Carlson’s research study addressing how Indigenous orality relates to literacy, seeking the power of literacy has been the inherent motivation of the Indigenous people to “making the world right” (Carlson 46). In this essay I argue that in the Indigenous historical sense of transformation, to transform in a way means to perform the act of literacy.  

Both of the two Salish transformative stories studied in Carlson’s article, regardless the “great diversity exists among the speakers of the twenty-two mutually unintelligible Salish languages” (Carlson 45), demonstrate the critical role that literacy plays in the historical consciousness of the Indigenous people. First of the all, the divine nature of literacy in the context of Indigenous cultural values is identified in both historical accounts. For example, in Bertha Peters’ narrative, the three Indigenous chiefs were taught to write by the “Great Spirit”, a God figure, implying that the “powerful forces from the spirit world had wanted them to be literate” (Carlson 45); whilst in Robinson’s narrative, a confidential “written document” was kept by God who assigned Creation tasks to a pair of twins who were claimed to be the forefathers of the Indigenous and British people (Robinson 9). Here literacy is considered as much powerful as the Creation forces in history. Moreover, both stories make it explicit that any attempt of the monopoly of this intangible public property will be punished. For instance, in Bertha Peters’ narrative, the three chiefs who acquired literacy from God were “turned to stone” for failing to share and pass on the writing skills (Carlson 43); whilst in Robinson’s narrative, the younger twin who stole the “paper” and refused to reveal the contents of the written document was “immediately banished to a distant land” (Robinson 9). These similar storylines seem to suggest that literacy is so essential that a shared ownership of such knowledge should be protected. Furthermore, both stories indicate profound and bitter consequences are to be expected if literacy being denied or stolen. For example, Bertha Peters’ story points out that, given the three Chiefs’ failing to teach their people literacy skills, the Indigenous people would remain illiterate and therefore becomes vulnerable for the situations where the Native things such as the knowledge of literacy, the Native land and resources and governing authority would be taken away from them. Similarly, Robinson’s story implies that the loss of literacy for the descendants of the elder twin leads to the killing of their lives as well as the stealing of their land by the descendants of the younger twin. Nevertheless, one of the most effective remedies addressing the issues of interracial balance, as suggested by Robinson’s story, seems to be associated with something in readable and written form – the “Black and White Law” jointly produced by the two heads of the two races (Robinson 10). The distribution of the three copies of this Law to both parties, as the story goes, seems to symbolise the repatriation of literacy to the Native people and as a result, the interracial balance that was earlier disrupted has been restored (Carlson 44).  The fact that in Indigenous stories “literacy is shown to be a powerful force, capable of precipitating transformations in people’s lives not unlike the transformative power associated with Coyote” (Carlson 51), goes to show the historical understanding of the Indigenous people who embrace literacy as part of the historic transformations as well as their own historical identity. More significantly, the Indigenous people seemed to believe that the transformative power of literacy might determine whether one culture fails or continues to thrive.

Given their post-contact content, it is argued that the Indigenous historical narratives, where literacy is prominently featured, were likely to be informed by some historical factors such as the smallpox epidemics and subsequently the early encounter between Indigenous people and the Europeans (Carlson 56). It was the time, according to Paterson, when the Indigenous traditional stories were required to make sense of the new reality that the Indigenous society was facing (“Lesson 2:3”).  More precisely, the historic changes demanded that the past experience needed to be resymbolized and reinterpreted in relation to present situations in order for the Indigenous people to survive the changing environment (Gamlin 19). As a result, the transformative stories re-told by the Aboriginal prophets drew upon the power of literacy, which is illustrated the prophetic literacy as well as the Indigenous etymology. The nineteenth-century Salish prophets are believed to have acquired literacy and “used this medium to prepare Salish people for the profound changes associated with European colonization” (52). It is argued that the prophets, who were the major story-tellers, expected the arrival of the newcomers, who possessed literacy skills, to “bring positive change to a chaotic world in the aftermath of smallpox epidemic” which might be assumed to be caused by the lack of literacy (54). This historical factor is paralleled with the previously mentioned two transformative stories that stress the significance of the loss as well as the repatriation of literacy. Interestingly, the creditability of the prophets’ predicting “the impending arrival of white people” lies crucially in “a piece of paper” which “was so valued that it was passed from son to son” (Carlson 54). However, it was also the printed words that the prophets told stories with prompted the Native people to “welcome and make room for the white people” and as a result led to their marginalization (Carlson 56). In this sense, literacy seems to be a determining factor that affects the way the Indigenous cultures understood and coped with transformations. In addition to prophetic literacy, some etymological evidences that demonstrate the close relationship between transformation and literacy in the context of Indigenous culture have also been identified. Carlson found out that the Indigenous terms referring to the names of the Transformers, the acts of transforming share similar root words with the word of literacy (61). That is to say, to transform is to read and write in the Indigenous sense of literacy.    

Works Cited:

Carlson, Keith Thor. “Orality and Literacy: The ‘Black and White’ of Salish History.” Orality & Literacy: Reflectins Across Disciplines. Ed. Carlson, Kristina Fagna, & Natalia Khamemko-Frieson. Toronto: Uof Toronto P, 2011. 43-72.

Paterson, Erika. “Lesson 2:3”. ENGL 470A Canadian Studies: Canadian Literary Genres Sept 2016. University of British Columbia Blogs. 2016. Web. 18 Oct. 2016. https://blogs.ubc.ca/courseblogsis_ubc_engl_470a_99c_2014wc_44216-sis_ubc_engl_470a_99c_2014wc_44216_2517104_1/unit-2/lesson-2-3/

Robinson, Harry. “Introduction.” Living by Stories: a Journey of Landscape and Memory. Ed. Wendy Wickwire. Vancouver: Talonbooks, 2005. 7-30.

4 thoughts on “To Transform is to Write

1. Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the thoughtful post! I enjoyed reading about the connections you made between the different stories and different concepts of literacy. In particular, I liked the way you drew-out the concept of literacy being “so essential” that shared ownership of that knowledge is important to protect–I hadn’t thought of the potential significance of this commonality while reading the different stories and it was neat to hear your perspective on it.

While reading your post, I also started to reflect further on Carson’s piece and the idea of transformations as literacy. I didn’t write my blog post this week on this topic, but this idea of transformation prompted me to think about the transformation that happens when one writes.

In a way, ideas and observations are “transformed” into words, specifically written words that can then be referred to again. In a similar way, it seems that perhaps the transformation of chiefs, for example, into rocks, embed this kind of story or knowledge into a place. If this is the case, wouldn’t much of landscape be like a “book” in it containing specific information (e.g. various landmarks containing stories, etc)? This is just an idea/another perspective that I thought of while reading yours, but I’d be curious what your thoughts are on it too!

Anyhow, thanks again; I look forward to connecting with you soon!

— Kaylie

• Hey Kaylie,

Thanks for your review on my most recent blog which mentioned the Indigenous sense of shared ownership of the knowledge of literacy. It can be related to one of the most distinguished aspects of the course we are both taking. It is the shared readership of individual writings that underpins our learning activities and contributes to my growing passion to this class. Whereas there is very often a lack of access to peers’ work in conventional courses, we could within this weblog community enjoy ourselves in reading our fellow students’ brilliant and divergent reflections on the same lesson and learn from the way they express their own ideas through writing. To be honest, I have learned so much from everyone involved in this class, which helps me not only gain perspectives but improve my writing skills. In this sense, the institutionalised shared ownership of intellectual property should no doubt be protected. It should also be further enhanced via technologies such as the weblogs. Actually, I wish you wrote on the question I chosen so that I could have learned directly from your writing which would definitely improve mine!

Anyways, one can literally draw upon anything, e.g. the landscapes, as a learning resource according to the traditional Chinese school of thought. It is called “Wu Zi Tian Shu” in Chinese, meaning the natural book that does not come with printed words. This is I believe one of the reasons why the global tourism industry is ever growing; as people can “read” those places of interest or tourist attractions and as a result learn something they could not have got from the books. While embracing alternative concepts of literacy in multiple forms, I am also aware of the values of reading and writing as the most powerful form of literacy. It is argued that it is the continuity of the Chinese written language, or “Hanzi” in Chinese, that “transforms” China into one of the oldest and continuous civilizations on earth. In fact, as the research study addressing the Salish stories suggest, the Indigenous people came to realize the transforming power of literacy during their counters with the European settlers. As result, he Indigenous sense of acquiring reading and writing skills began to develop, which is reflected in their re-told stories or adapted oral traditions as well as the prophecy literacy in the 19th century. Therefore, I argue that while there seems to be a common recognition of the values and power of literacy of alternative forms across cultures, it is worth continuing to invest in developing reading and writing skills so as for various cultures to survive transformations and keep up with an ever changing environment.

Thanks again Kaylie for your thought-provoking comment!

Regards,
      Patrick

2. Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your interesting post! It was really contrasting to read your opinion on the importance of literacy in Indigenous cultures, as I wrote on the importance of oral storytelling in the face of Eurocentric ideas behind literacy. My question for you is this: while many Indigenous cultures did embrace the great changes that written literacy had to offer, do you think that it was harmful to the advancement of oral storytelling as a cultural tool? I myself don’t really have a clear answer to this, but would be really interested to hear what you have to say considering you spent a bunch of time thinking about the injection of written literacy into Indigenous cultures. I think that the way in which Harry Robinson writes his stories allowed for me to clearly see the advantages behind oral storytelling that we more eurocentric readers often miss.

Thanks!

-Jenny Bachynski

• Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your attention to my blog post addressing the Indigenous sense of literacy. I also appreciate your question which is concerned about the impact that the introduction of reading and writing has on the Indigenous oral traditions. I guess the most dangerous bit of the Eurocentric ideas is the sense of salvation rather than the historical ideas of cultural assimilation of the Aboriginal people. Comparing to the intervening approach of “what we can to do to preserve the oral traditions for the Indigenous people”, a more sustainable perspective might be “what are the Indigenous ideas of (developing or preserving) oral traditions in relation to literacy”? If the Indigenous voice is not involved, we might risk messing up the sustainable development of the Indigenous oral traditions rather than helping it out.

I think what often happens is that we discuss the cultural issues “for” the Indigenous people with the absence of their own opinions. The reason being is what we are concerned about is actually the culture of the “imaginary Indians” as King is often being identified. We are looking to protect the “authentic Indigenous arts”. Any Indigenous cultural stuff which is influenced or informed by post-contact European event and issues is at stake of “being discarded to the dustbin of scholarly interest” or losing the protective attention as it is no longer “authentic”. In this sense, literacy should be sliced off the Indigenous story-telling traditions so as to make such cultural heritage a piece of “authentic” arts; and literacy skills came to the Indigenous culture from the “injection” or imposition of the European settlers, a typical Eurocentric perspective, rather than an internal demand evolving from the Indigenous culture per se in response to the historic transformations. However, as what my study demonstrates, it was the Indigenous people who were willing to make changes of their oral cultures happen. As one of the most solid evidences of such Indigenous agency, the prophecy literacy is one of the early actions that the Indigenous people take to explore how to “inject” literacy into their ancient cultures in their own way. I guess what they wanted to have is a kind of readable and written literacy of their preferred form, which suits their traditional cultures best while making such an innovative form of literacy different from the settlers’. Nevertheless, the best way to avoiding the Eurocentric ways of thinking when it comes to promoting the Indigenous cultures seems to be listening more to what the Indigenous ideas really are.

Thanks Jenny for your thought-provoking question!

Regards,
      Patrick