Super Bowl Commercials 2013: The Best Ad

I have to admit, after all this hype about the Super Bowl, especially the commercials aired up to and during the game, I decided to check some of them out, just to see what the hype was all about. From the myriad of car commercials to beer commercials, it was obvious to see that the majority of these commercials were targeted towards men. However, there was one commercial that really stood out for me; in fact, I even teared up a little while I was watching it.

Budweiser’s “The Brotherhood” commercial, unlike most other commercials which tried to come across as “funny” or “cool,” was very sentimental and humorous in a subtle way. It begins with a man tending to a very adorable Clydesdale foal and it shows the horse’s growth and attachment to its owner until it gets drafted away by Budweiser. I couldn’t resist shedding a few tears when I saw the horse parting with its owner. Then, it fast forwards to three years later where the man and the horse have a reunion. The commercial ends with Budweiser telling viewers to tweet at them if they want to help name the baby Clydesdale shown in the ad. Not only is this commercial well-made in the sense that it has a good storyline, it also makes good use of social media as a means of advertising because they are using Twitter to further engage customers with their brand.

I really liked this commercial because it’s different from the typical Super Bowl commercial where the ad is mainly targeted towards men and sends across the message “if you use our product, you will be popular among the ladies.” Rather, this commercial seems like it is targeted towards a wider audience – the growing female audience. This classic rearing-to-separation-to reunion story of the Clydesdale and its owner was deeply touching for me and changed my opinion about Super Bowl ads for the better.