The End – Conclusion

Hello everyone, welcome to my last blog post of the semester. We have made it to the end of our blog journey for this class which feels bittersweet. When we started the semester and I signed my contract it felt like the end was nowhere in sight but it went by faster than I could imagine. 

With that, I just want to say I really enjoyed taking Romance Studies this semester as Professor Jon, the TAs, and everyone in the class made it a fun experience. The enthusiasm shown for reading and the in-class discussions were very interesting and motivating. I enjoyed this system of blog posts and comments – something I was a bit intimidated by at the beginning of the semester. In my introduction blog post, I talked about being nervous and intimidated by writing and literature as it is not my strongest suit. I was also not sure how to feel about the readings at first as I am not the biggest fan of reading. However, I feel completely different about this now and enjoyed doing every blog post along with reading the novels. One of my biggest goals for this class was to leave as a stronger reader and find more interest in reading. I think I fulfilled this goal as I read many different novels that I would not have read otherwise in my day-to-day life. This course exposed me to different genres and styles of writing and reading. 

My favourite novel that I read this semester would probably be “Black Shack Alley”. I enjoyed the storyline of this book and found it to be one of the less complicated reads out of all the books I read. I liked the coming of age theme as well as the fact that it touched on real-life struggles. On the other hand, my least favourite novel was probably the last novel I read which was “Faces in the Crowd”. I could not get into this book and found it very difficult to follow the storyline. This was one of the only novels I kept putting down and coming back to as I lacked interest in it. Moreover, I am grateful I still read a novel like this as it challenged my thinking and exposed me to the concept that not all literature is meant for everyone. 

To conclude, I am very glad I took this class and it is probably one of my favourite classes I have taken thus far. I will recommend this course to anyone who is looking for a good literature class. 

Thank you to everyone for an amazing semester 🙂

Discussion Question: 

What was your favourite aspect of this course (i.e. contract style, blogs, in-class discussions, readings, etc)?

2 thoughts on “The End – Conclusion

1. Janae Lam

Hi, I’m glad to know you that you also enjoyed reading “Black Shack Alley”! Though my favourite one is “The Shrouded Woman”, “Black Shack Alley” is definitely one of my favourite novels in this class. I think you made a good point about how it highlights real-life struggles as this reminds me of the continuity of oppression and white supremacy despite the abolishment of slavery. To answer your question, my favourite aspect would be in-class discussions. I find them productive as they help generate insightful thoughts of my own. I also liked listening to what other people had to say to gain multiple perspectives.
    Hope you have a restful summer!
    – Janae

2. Tes

Puneet, I’m glad the course helped you become a strong reader and overcome your nervousness and hesitation about reading. Glad to hear it was one of your favorite courses :).

-Tes