Lululemon Opposes Their Own Values

After reading Stephanie’s blog post  and learning that Lululemon denied the sheerness of their yoga and placed the blame on consumers, I admit that I am also saddened by their ignorance and discrimination against plus-sized women. Lululemon is a company that advocates a positive lifestyle by promoting fitness, health and peace of mind. But in this situation, instead of inspiring consumers with their values, they victimized those who really need their help. I believe that way Lululemon resolved the situation will eventually cause irreversible damage to the company because not only does it upset the women whom they victimized, other consumers, myself included, are also outraged by the scandal.

If I was given the opportunity to resolve the problem, I think that a better way to handle the situation is to compensate customers for the poor quality of the yoga pants. Although this may cause the firm to temporarily lose profit, it maintains a positive brand reputation, which I believe is one of the most important aspects of a retail company. In addition, I view this situation as a chance to expand customer segments and take advantage of shared value. For instance, Lululemon can launch a plus-size line that targets curvier women. They can also offer incentives to people who are trying to begin a healthier lifestyle. This could entail giving certain discounts or gifts to first-time shoppers. With this approach, I think that in the long-run, Lululemon can successfully expand their brand not only to those who are health-enthusiasts but also to people who need just a bit of motivation to lead a healthier lifestyle.

lululemon_bag