The four major reasons of pollution in China

Last time, I wrote an article about the air pollution in Beijing. This time, I’d like to analyze the basic reason of pollution in China. As we know, China is a developing country with serious pollution. I believe the reason is lack of policy control. Why doesn’t Chinese government come up with effective policy to control pollution? Why pollution is serious in China? Well, I think there are 4 major reasons.

First of all, the highly developing economics makes environment worse. With the increasing need of resource, Chinese factories don’t care about the environment. Without regulation, they only care about profit. They don’t want to pay for abatement cost and they don’t have incentive to develop their equipments to make them more environmental friendly.

Second, the government’s attitude is one of the most important reasons. It is not difficult to understand that companies want to reduce cost without regulation. Government should be the “bad” guy to forces them spend more money. However, in order to keep economic growth, the government tries to ignore the serious environmental problem. They hardly pay attention to environment because they believe paying attention to pollution will increase cost and slow down the economic growth.

Third, with more than 1.3 billion people, the pressure on resource is too high. Because there are so many people, overexploiting resource is the choice we have to face. It is obvious that the result is serious since everyone has to breathe the highly polluted air.

Fourth, the public didn’t realize the increasing serious problem. Before the air pollution in Beijing becoming a globe hot news, the public and media fail to pressure government to facing the pollution. Base on a survey, most people don’t know how bad the problem is and how to fix it. Now, more people and media are arguing with the government and they are forced to draft legislation as soon as possible.

It is obvious that ignoring pollution in order to keep economic growth is short-sighted and stupid. Drafting legislation is only the first step. Implementation is more important. I hope this time, public and media can oversee the government to make new policy and implement effectively!

2 thoughts on “The four major reasons of pollution in China

1. It is really good analysis. I wasn’t sure why our most classmate were talking about china carbon issue, but now i can realize that air pollution has been an issue in china! Thanks for sharing information!! I hope chica will apply carbon policy successfully as soon as possible 🙂 Denmark case can be helpful to imply carbon tax 🙂

P.S Thanks for your comment on my blog!