The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Task 6

An Emoji Story

Can you guess what this is?

Created with emoji keyboard in Messages on iPhone.

Interestingly, when I listened to the interview with Gretchen McColloch, she briefly mentioned that a study she cited a lot found that the generations use the internet a lot does not necessarily translate into using internet speaking features in everything they write. She even made an example of writing internet news in entire emoji (David McRaney, 2020, 25:55). I remember thinking to myself, “well, that would be interesting to try,” and voilà, and here it is, task 6!

The Production

I chose this piece because this is the most recent one that I still have a clear memory of and just started describing the content. I was a little reluctant to put the title because I felt my title would be a giveaway for people who had any previous knowledge about the piece I am describing here.

My emoji story is mainly based on the general ideas with some details at the beginning because I felt understanding the reason why it happened was more important. There are some repetitions, and if I chose to describe everything, it would be using similar emojis repeatedly.

The Challenges

The Encoding Process

When we communicate, we translate our thoughts into something shareable (understandable) for our audience. This process is encoding.

Compared to the usual encoding, where thoughts turn into written text or words from our mouth, choosing emojis that can accurately convey the message is definitely way more challenging.

Here is one example. When I was describing my piece, I noticed that the emoji keyboard in Messages on iPhone does not seem to contain any negative words. In the effort of not giving my content away, I had tried a few negative words (e.g., suicide, prison, gun. die) that were not relevant to my piece, and I could not find them in the emoji keyboard I was using, try to see if you can see these words in yours. Here is an interesting article to read about why some emojis are banned on some online platforms.

The Decoding Process

The decoding process possesses unknown challenges for apparent reason. Gretchen said in her interview with Helen that “what you interpret a symbol as depends on your cultural context, depends on your linguistic context, depends on the rest of your experience, so if you are gonna have emoji convey these additional meanings, those can not be universal because somebody has to tell you.” (Helen Zaltzman, 2019, 8:25)

For this task, only people who share the same experience (i.e., who had previously known this piece) will have the chance to understand what it is. Noticed I said “the chance”, yeah, if I didn’t pick a piece with such an obvious title and I had to describe the title, the person who wants to guess it will also need to see the emoji symbol the same way as I do. For example, if I put a means Chinese New Year because it looks like one little firecracker on a string of traditional firecrackers, not set something on fire.

David McRaney  (Host). (2020, December 15). 194 – Because Internet – Gretchen McCulloch. In You Are Not So Smart. Apple Podcasts. https://tinyurl.com/cbh39es7

Helen Zaltzman (Host). (2019, July 13). 102. New Rules. In The Allusionist. https://www.theallusionist.org/new-rules.

« »