Golden Record Curation 

My Pick

My ten picks from the 27 pieces included on the Golden Record.

My Reasons

I have chosen these ten tracks out of the 27 tracks (m1lkm4n, 2020) based on my feelings about those, which is rare for me as I rely on well-organized parameters and criteria to make selections most of the time. However, music is a different creature, you like or dislike it for no apparent reason (at least this is what I felt). So I am working backwards on this task, summarizing my reasons for choosing the tracks I chose.

(1) I had always admired Bach‘s music, so there is no surprise that I had picked all three tracks from Bach.

(2) Chicago was the movie that got me in love with Jazz, which is probably why I picked the “Melancholy Blues.”

(3) The “Flowing Streams” is performed with the traditional musical instrument from China, which I enjoyed very much as traditional Chinese music always gives me the feeling of “calm”.

(4) The “wedding song” grows on me. I had eight pieces selected at the beginning, and when I listened to the tracks for the third time, the wedding song suddenly caught my attention, and the more I heard it, the more I liked it. Similar to the tenth piece I have selected (the Fairer Round), it gives me a feeling of hope and happiness.

If I am given the option to choose anything on the track that was mentioned in the podcast episode (Taylor, n.d.), I would definitely pick tracks two and four, which are the greetings in 55 languages (2:45) and the sound of the earth (5:01), respectively. I love how these two tracks include the different sounds (language and nature) that tell the story about the earth (humanity and nature).

Looking forward to seeing the graphic of the social network generated based on our selections!

m1lkm4n. (November 16, 2020). Voyage – Songs from the Voyager Golden Record. YouTube. Retrieved October 27th, 2021, from https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4D51474AB7BE5595.

Taylor, Dallas.  (Host). (n.d.). Voyager Golden Record. Twenty Thousand Hertz. https://www.20k.org/episodes/voyagergoldenrecord.