Arbutus Village — an enclave in the region

assignment-2-arbutus-village

Here is my second assignment for ENDS 220. This is the first time I tried to sketch to articulate my ideas for a better expression. I did a research on the Arbutus Village community to figure out the reason for their unusual warped neighbourhood layout. Doing this research is challenging since buildings and trees are not going to speak to me about its history and the community’s planning process. My research recovered this neighbourhood’s high number of rich and retired population, which contribute to its suburban lifestyle. This lifestyle further produce its inner greenways and the park while blocks automobiles outside the community. I also noted this neighbourhood’s inactive process of redevelopment. Although the community development proposal was passed in 2005, this neighbourhood looks exactly the same since 11 years have passed. This project made me aquatinted with the Arbutus neighbourhood in person, not from textbooks and essays. This is really pleasurable for me, who barely no anything about Vancouver’s neighbourhoods.